Help I Broke My Surefire E2E!

JeffH

Newly Enlightened
Earlier today I took the stock, momentary tailcap off of my SF E2E and now after replacing it, the light no longer works. The button can no longer be depressed. I jiggled, shaken, twirled the spring but pressure on the rubber end cap doesn't move the button/mechanisim. Does anyone know what might have happened!?
Thanks
Jeff

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So with the tailcap off the light, pushing in on the spring does not put pressure on the rubber cap? What I mean is this: do the following: press the rubber cap with your pointer finger while holding the body of the switch between your thumb and middle finger. Now press on the spring with your other hand. Can you feel the push on the rubber cap or no? Can you move the spring/cap together in and out relative to the body of the switch? If not, something is jammed or broken. Look inside, you should be able to see the spring and attached inner parts able to move in and out and side to side.

Check these things and report back (please).

JeffH

Newly Enlightened
Jim,
Nope, when pressing in the spring I cannot feel the pressue in the rubber cap. It's just stuck. I can't move the spring/cap together either. I just bought it locally about a week ago. I'm thinking about running it back to the store.

JOshooter

Enlightened
If the dealer for some reason doesn't accept the return (which he has no reason not to) thank goodness for that lifetime warranty!

JeffH

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I guess buying locally even at greater costs occasionally can pay off. I'm really surprised to be experiencing any problem as I understand these lights to be built like a tank. If it's mechanical I guess it can certainly break though!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i always thought there was nothing that could go wrong with LOTCs....if its stuck in the "off" position, try banging the button to unstick it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say just take it back. Something's messed up in the tailcap, and it's under warranty.

Yes, Surefire lights ARE built like tanks...very classy tanks at that, but even then, occasionally things do go wrong. This strikes me as being one of those occasions.