Any lights using 123 's totally waterproof?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any lights using 123 \'s totally waterproof?

The only one I can think of that comes close is the UK 2L and the Tectite splashlight.

Are there any others?

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Any lights using 123 \'s totally waterproof?

There's a dive rated version of the Surefire 6P, I think. But some people have had them leak.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello NotRegulated,

I believe the Peak 123 lights are "extremely splash resistant." I have come to find out that the U2 is as well.

Tom

joshwang

Newly Enlightened

Night-ops Gladius!!! 50 Meters!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

rumar

Newly Enlightened

I always thought that the definition of "waterproof" meant that the device still functioned after the seals blew... Hence, water resistant to xxx.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tektite Splashlite, I play with mine in the pool all the time. .

rycen

Enlightened

Arc LS and AA,AAA

Deanster

Enlightened

Sorry to be the 'what do you mean by totally waterproof?' guy... as a diver, I consider a dive-rated light to be one rated to 500', about 3x maximum recreational diving limits. The one thing you don't want in a dive light is to be diving at 100' with a 100' rated light, and even with a 500' rated light, dive lights flood from time to time. If you're taking it in the water, 'Two is one, and one is none... '

Soooo, I think of water-resistant lights that aren't dive-rated as being good for rain or splashes, and if they live through a dunking, I'm lucky. If it's rated for less than 100', I consider it a fine light for submersion, but not to take to depth.

I'd say a 100m (~300') rating to be the minimum for a 'waterproof' or dive light.

All that said, even the non-water rated surefires do just fine in a one-hour dunk on the floor of my hot tub. My personal minimum (I live and work around the water) is that a light survive this test before it becomes a part of my tool kit, and every surefire I own, including the decidedly non-water-resistant G2 has done fine with this. YMMV.

My Arc LS, Firefly II are in the water all the time, I don't yet have the Pelican M6, but that light would be my first bet for a more-water-resistant-than-usual 123 light, as Pelican does dive and hazardous-atmosphere lights for a living.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

rumar,
Ibelieve Ralph Nadar had his hand in the water proof rating. As I recall, Rollex went from water proof to water resistant as a result.

As Deanster has stated, there is a big difference between sealed from environmental intrusion and sealed and secure under pressure. I was kind of surprised to find that for many of these lights that have good functional seals, what will most likely fail under pressure is the window itself! Glass is no where near up to the pressures that Lexan for instance can take!

Mr. Blue

Enlightened

Deanster, the G2 is less H2O reistant than other Sf lights? Dang. I thought they were touted as more resistant?

Not Regulated, FYI, my TW4, Arcs (AAA, AA and Arc4+), InnovaXT5(the HA one), and Micra have all spent considerable time submerged, while swimming and while bathing kids...they are all fine, in my experience, to 5'. the Arcs and Micra are rated to 50' IIRC.

cy

Flashaholic

Barbolight U-09 is a dive light and close to bombproof. aprox. 200 lumens output with Surefire quality and price to match.

only it's driven by 3x nmh C cells.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Curiosity is just KILLING me notregulated... why would one need a light running on 123s to be water/pressure proof to more than ~100 feet? Most divers I know that spend time looking underwater (as opposed to having a light purely for emergency) have big old clunky C or D cell lights. In the smaller category, several AA or AAA lights from Prineton Tec (and/or Pelican, UKE etc) should be very, very waterproof such as the Impact, Impact XL, Tec40 etc...

I guess I just tend to think of 123s as allowing maximum brightness in minimum space. When diving, I just don't think space is at an absolute premium. From a practical standpoint, they are probably the worst choice in a battery type - low capacity and expensive.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

My "dive" lights are all C-Cells. I haven't tested my Splashlite @ depth, but I think it'd be okay. My Glotoob wouldn't qualify as a light, so to speak, but I'm confident as far as it's ability to stay dry. .

Deanster

Enlightened

Sadly, the G2 is a notoriously un-water-resistant light... both the front lens and the rear switch are unreliable in water - the rear switch shroud is just a piece of rubber with a small ridge around the edge, sitting in a shallow groove on the interior of the light - kind of like half an o-ring, but then not pressure-sealed against the rear cap. If you've got the rear cap at all loose, creating more than 1mm travel or so for the rear switch, it will pull on the shroud, and the light WILL flood.

Although I end up using my 123 pocket lights in water all the time, I agree very much with the posts above that they're not at all suitable for real 'submerged' duty - Something like a 3c Pelican Super Sabre would be a vastly better choice for nearly anything in the water.

So we're back to the question of the day - whatcha planning to do with them thar lights?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the SF X200 is rated to 30 meters or so - intended to be very wet, but maybe not a dive light. It holds 2 x 123.

My personal favorite dive lights are IKELITE. I still have a 6 x D cell version that my brother gave me when I passed my PADI - 30 years ago this month. And it still works. I think these were originally rated at 150 ft, as the other diving components at that time were not intended for much more than that anyway.

I am more of a shallow water diver (rarely below 50 ft), so my needs are less severe.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for all the reply's!
I am not going to use it for diving.
By "waterproof" I guess I mean "water resistant". My dive watches go to 300 meters and they are listed as water resistant.
I have not exposed my Surefires to dunk test yet but have used them in the pouring rain for short periods of time. What I think I am hearing from you folks is that the Surefires pass the dunk test quite well. I am concerned that my Surefires will not work correctly after being exposed to pouring rain for hours at a time or under a foot or two of water for a short time. I may have nothing to worry about if I read your experiences on your posts correctly. I am using the 6P, 6Z, E2e, L4 and E2e/KL1, E1e/KL1.

paulr

Flashaholic

The Surge is ok to take out in the rain but is notorious for flooding underwater.

100 ft water resistance means the light can handle the static pressure of sitting perfectly still under 100 feet of water. Once you start moving around, all bets are off. If you're diving to 100 feet, get a light with 300 feet of water resistance (similar for your wristwatch etc.)

For heavy underwater lights, bigger is better since the size contributes to buoyancy and reduces the light's "weight" down below.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are pictures on this website someplace of a handful of SF lights at depth. You can't really tell exactly how deep, but there are the lights and there are divers above them, so it's probably at least 15', and they're all doing okay. .

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Limited edition Surefire coffee stirrer in satin gray:
vr123-mod5.jpg

Mug is optional /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif