Blue (LED) Infinity

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I'm looking for a blue LED light over in B/S/T. I thought this was a better place for discussion about merrits of different lights.
The two that I have been offered pending ****ering /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif that I am most interested in are a 'vintage' NIp blue Infinity and a Blue Opalec in a Mini-Mag. I won't offer any of my thoughts in the hope of getting more discussion here.
BTW I was reluctantly offered a NIP Blue Are AAA also but it was outside my $ range

paulr

Flashaholic
What's to know? The Opalec is regulated, the Infinity less so. The Infinity is a lot smaller. How often are you going to use this thing anyway? I'd say if you want to fool around with a blue light, get a Photon.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're the guy that wanted a blue LED light for his wife, right? Actually, an ARC might be feasable for just over $30. A couple aqua LED ARCs have sold for that recently.

I'd imagine the Opalec would be both brighter and possibly have longer runtime than the original Infinity. I've never even touched a blue Infinity, but the red non-Ultra Infinity is very, very dim whereas I'd imagine the Opalec would be a usable beam.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you want to spend a bit more, you could get a Peak McKinley powered by 1x123 with seven blue LED's for $45 in HA or brass or $55 in stainless steel. The stainless steel version is gorgeous. There's also a 1xAA 5-led version at the same prices.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Herb,
There is a significant difference in brightness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
What is your main use for the light? You probably know better than me how far a little light goes to dark adapted eyes ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:

--What is your main use for the light?-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahh THE question. This light is not really intended for useful use. But if I can get a useful blue LED light there is a point in favor of it. (did that make sense? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I'm getting the light because my wife noticed a "pretty blue LED" as a car alarm indicator. The type that sits by the rearview mirror and flashes indicating a)an active alarm b)a desire to make you think there is an active alarm . The debate over usefulness is fullfilling my desire to not get a light just to look pretty.

I've already made arrangements for 2 Blue Infinity task lights to come to me. I'm still waiting on news back on the blue Opalec. See 'Buy Both' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif