Need LED light recommendation!!! CR123 based...!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use all Surefire incandescent lights and I hate to throw the batts away knowing they will power a small led light for hours at a time. I was thinking of the Inova 24/7, but are there any other good ones?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Peak makes some 5mm LED / one cr123a lights. I'm sure if you go with the standard model, not the high power you should get some decent use out of your old batteries.

Inova X5 uses two cr123a batteries and Cutter also makes two cell LED lights.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need LED light recommendation!!! CR123 based..

You've got a few good options here. Night Cutter makes some really nice little 123 cell lights with 3 or 5 Nichias... great build quality, classy light all around. Highly recommended! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peak also has a single 123 cell light that I keep forgetting the name of... Matterhorn? McKinley? Oh man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Whatever the official name of that light is, it's got something like 7 or maybe even 9 Nichias running off a single 123 cell. I don't own one of these, but it looks like a good choice, at least on paper.

Personally, I've also found that the old-style KL1 heads mounted on an E1E body, and the SureFire L1 flashlight itself (which also takes a single 123 cell) run cells down pretty low, and are great lights in their own right. Eapecially modded with a LuxIII emitter and reflector! I've done more than a few of those mods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

If you STILL want to suck the life out of the cells even AFTER using them in one of the above lights, you need a Milky Candle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I can hand make you one and eventually will be doing a larger-scale build as well. They take 2x123 cells and drive a single Nichia until the cells are dead as doornails. Even cells that can't illuminate the SureFire Hurricane Lamp work great in a Milky Candle. Of course, I'm a little biased in my opinion of these! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PM if you need additional help, but otherwise, hope this gives you some ideas. After all, a 123 is a terrible thing to waste. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

All of the above... and also the Tektite Splashlite Led is a great one for sucking the juice out of used 123s too. Its a direct drive light, meaning it will drain the batts as much as it can still power the light...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like 1x CR123 lights - if one goes the "cheap" route - look at

S1801 - 1 watt Luxeon 1x CR123 - the one sample I got from GoldenGadgets.com was PDG (pretty d*mned good) - I really like this and consider it a bargain -
review:
S1801 1w Luxeon 1xCR123

The 9LED 1x CR123 "Bowling Pin" light I bought from haveblue is also worth cosidering - this $12.99 light from GoldenGadgets.com looks like the same light.
review:
Bowling Pin 9LED (vs Xnova AA, ArcAAA)

S1801_size.jpg