Getting Married: Any advice?

Catman10

Enlightened
As the post says, got engaged and am getting married soon. I'm just wondering if anyone has any general advice relating to the wedding itself, the marriage, whatever. I hear that the man gets all the power now, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nethiker

Enlightened
Have you started buying flashlights yet? For some reason my wife has a hard time understanding how anyone needs more than one flashlight, knife or gun.

Congrats! I'm married 2.5 years, and happier every day.

Greg

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Catman,

Congratulations.

The first thing that comes to mind are three "C's."

Caring: Make sure you always care for her. Be attentive to her wants and needs. Also, be attentive to yours as well.

Commitment: Your marriage will last as long as you are committed to each other. Set aside time to renew your commitment to each other - often.

Communication: People tend to jump to assumptions and find it hard go the extra step to discuss them. An open line of communication (spiritual, physical, emotional, and verbal) allows the opportunity to plan your walk through life and to follow your plan. When either of you start to stray from your chosen plan, communication will alert you and give you the opportunity to change your direction or change your plan.

Good luck.

Tom

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
pick something about the ceremony that is important to you and tell your future wife about it now. Then later when she is throwing a thousand questions at you at once about things like lace and flowers you can honestly say that you love whatever she does. There is no reason you need to care if the flowers are peach or pink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But SHE will!

Ask for her to make lists with what you're supposed to do and then do whatever she says /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Weddings can be HUGE production. You're going to be completely blown away by the whole wedding industry and the amount of STUFF that needs to be setup.

I had one friend who's fiancée very nearly put an end to the whole relationship by insisting that the reception be held outside with a whole pig roast!

Honestly, do you care what the food catered into the dinner is? If there is something you want, make sure your wife knows about it now.

As far as Marriage advise in general, I hope you're marrying someone who is both your friend as well as your lover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If thats the case then you'll be happy for a long time. I wish you all the best!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Congratulations, catman10. You thought you were handing your wallet over here, huh? Just kidding, my wife is awesome about humoring me this hobby.

Of SilverFox's three Cs, I feel communication is the most important, being able to share and talk about your hopes and joys, your problems and your issues. Stop talking, and you have no idea what's going on.

As to the wedding itself, what an industry designed to part you from your money. Still, I had a great time at our wedding: I went into it thinking, when else in my lifetime will all these people that are important to me be together in one place? Never, so have fun and talk a little to all of your friends and relatives!

While I'm not suggesting plotting, I submit that if you broaden your flashlight/knife/gun/watch/pen collection now, you'll have ample materials to trade or sell later to fund future purchases, as opposed to going to your wife and asking if you can spend the food money on a Aleph/Sebenza/1911/Panerai/Mazzuoli!

best wishes,
daloosh

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the hobby front, one thing that has worked well for
me and my wife is to have a monthly allowance. Then
neither person can complain about how much the other
spends on CDs, flashlights, purses or red shoes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg (married 15 years)

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you are right, the man gets all the power. You will soon be able to do absolutely anything your wife wants you to do.

The following advice may not sound too romantic or optimistic, so I will start by wishing you two all the best and a long and happy marriage.

The reality is that about half of all couples split up, though. This, of course, will not be you, but it won't hurt to consider it a possibility. So you might want to make a quick review of divorce laws before you tie the knot. This is dependant on your jurisdiction of course, but it is quite likely that certain assets you now own do not ever have to become common property to be divided in a divorce. There is individual property and common property and you should learn how to avoid making your individual property into common property if possible. I have no idea if you are wealthy or poor like me, but even if you can tuck away a small amount of money as individual property, you will at least have that appreciated value as yours even after the divorce attorneys take half of everything and give your wife the other half. It also wouldn't hurt to keep at least one of your credit cards and maybe even a bank account in your name only instead of having everything joint. This will be handy if the worst happens. Do this for your wife also in case you die or something.

A prenuptual agreement is also an anti-romantic idea and your future wife will surely scowl at you if you bring it up, but they are not just for the wealthy. It is a way to avoid the costly contested divorce and leave the two of you with your divided assets instead of the attorneys.

Just remember the old adage: "Love is grand... Divorce is a couple hundred grand."

One other piece of marital advice that I think rings true is the following: The secret to a happy marriage is getting the biggest and best bed you can possibly afford.

Most couples who have troubles have it over money issues. Often one or both people will be irresponsible, spend too freely and get into trouble with debt. It would be a good idea to sit down and hammer out a budget even before the wedding. It should include an amount for discretinary spending for each person. Then stick to it. As soon as you are married your wife will want to go on a huge spending spree decorating the home or some such madness that you don't agree with and you will want to buy some monster truck or something that your wife doesn't value. How are you going to work that out?

It is not a bad idea to have pre-wedding talks about other important issues like kids: how many and when. Careers. Where to live. Long term goals. Who's family do you visit on which holidays. Division of household chores, etc.

If/when you have kids, you will need good life insurance and a last will. Get professional help with these. I recommend getting a term life policy separate from any coverage you have through your employer, since changing jobs can interrupt coverage and leave you uninsured. Future health problems can make it hard to get insurance later.

The other secret to a happy marriage is that each person has to give 60% and receive 40%.

Another thing I have learned is that loving someone is a conscious decision, not just something that is or is not. You will have some rough times ahead when you wonder how you got hooked into this. The difference between being single and being married is that now you work out the problems no matter what it takes and you make a decision to keep loving the other person even when you don't want to. That is what commitment means. It will not always be easy but it will always be possible.

As for the wedding, be flexible and supportive. Many women are truly insane at two times in their lives: Planning a wedding and being pregnant/new mothers. You just have to stay at arms length and keep making supportive statements while you wait it out.

Good luck and have a happy marriage.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurker, excellent post. The only way I can follow that is with a big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif.

One small piece of advice: make a conscious effort to do things to make sure your wife stays you friend/lover. It's amazing what a simple note or a phone call to say "I'm thinking about you/I love you" will do.

-Mike

henryinnm

Newly Enlightened
Advice for the 'About to be Wed'
1st: tell your physician you are getting married and ask for a prescription for Valium- you'll need it as the day gets closer, the doc will inderstand. Maybe get some for the bride to be too. The run up to the wedding is about as stressful as combat.
2nd: Make damn sure all family & relatives stay for photos after the ceremony as there is a tendency for them to scatter from the church to the reception if you are having one.
3rd: If you are renting a tux, do not rent the shoes. You will be on your feet all evening so splurge on some nice comfy shoes or else you will need moleskin & bandages as the rentals will eat right into your ankles.
4th: the Mother-in-Law factor- she will be beside herself before, during, and after (especially if it's her 1st wedding) so pay extra attention to her needs, not just her daughter's.
5th: agree to everything that she & her parents want for the ceremony. They are paying so shut yer mouth & don't argue, there will be plenty of time for that later.

To paraphrase Mae West: marriage is a great institution, take from one who was institutionalized for 20 yrs.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other thing I thought of. It has to do with finances. Every relationship is different, but generally there is some debate about how to spend what disposable money you have. Cars, furniture, vacations, clothes, etc. The list never ends and you and your wife will rarely be in perfect agreement. One thing for sure is that savings is usually low on the list at least for one or the other of you. Any money you have will be spent on something. So the way I see it is that it might as well be house payments. That is about the only spending that will create future value. When in doubt, be more agreeable to getting a bigger house than you need instead of getting newer cars or vacations or whatever. It is better to be "house poor" than broke for any other reason. At least there's a future in it. And any money put into the mortgage at least won't be spent on shoes.

And by the way, if you are going house shopping, remember that location is the only important thing when it comes to real estate.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy all your toys b4 she moves in.
Open a PO Box for all your future potential toys.

Then the 3Cs of SilverFox
Congrats, Wishing you and her many years of happiness.

B@rt

Flashaholic
bellsani8km.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Catman10,

Congratulations!

Advice. Wow. That's hard. OK. As far as the wedding goes, always keep in mind that you will eventually get through it and the planning and hastle will someday be behind you. Next, you need to figure out what (if anything) is really important for you in terms of the ceremony, venue, food, music, decorations, cards, etc. Then bring those things up with your wife to be and try to negotiate things to be acceptable. Everything else, let go.

Of course, the problem that most women have is that the man always says "Huh? Oh, the flowers? Whatever you want dear." and this pisses the woman off because she wants HELP and by that she means she doesn't want to be alone in the decision making process. A lot of times this just means thinking aloud and feeling things out and throwing some suggestions around, and then finally agreeing that your fiancee's choice is the best possible one. Unfortunately you can't simply skip all of the foregoing.

Also, try not to get taken (money-wise) by the wedding-mafia. Anyone who ever says "you only get married once, so what does the money matter?" get rid of them (unless it's your family or family to be, of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). It DOES matter. Hello?!? There's absolutely no need to throw such a lavish wedding that people go into debt over it. If parents really feel the need to spend 20-30K (or more), use most of that as a downpayment on a house or something or to pay off student loans or credit cards or auto loans. Or invest it. Just my opinion. The ceremony is important, yes, but not so much on a material level.

OK. Being married. Now what I'm going to say is maybe going to be a little unpopular, but there is no way to continuously sustain that rose-colored glasses-I'm so in love-feeling. The infatuation and euphoria will at some point pass away. There will be times when you might feel that your marriage lacks "passion".

Don't worry. Those things come and go, and they are really NOT as important as society seems to think. Don't think that you made a mistake because of these things.

Alright. That said, I can think of only one really important principle for your marriage: always, always, always love your wife. Unstintingly and without any kind of reservation or hedging or temporizing or conditions. Now please understand me. There will be moments when your wife will upset or annoy you or wound your pride and so on. You will not LIKE it. You will probably not feel very affectionate and cuddly towards her at these times. But you MUST love her. That is, you must respect her and care about her wellbeing. Never be sarcastic or snide or intentionally insulting towards her. If you are so upset that you don't dare discuss anything with her, just say so and go away to cool off.

Nothing will kill a marriage or friendship faster than disrespect and hate (or lesser degrees thereof). Nothing. Period. When you are intentionally hurtful or disrespectful towards a friend, you cause a permenant wound to that friendship.

And a corolary to this, is that you must always accept what you wife SAYS she thinks, feels, or means at face value. Never do the psychologizing thing where you say "No. You aren't really mad at me, you're mad at . . ." This is a blatant and insulting disregard for human free will and self understanding.

Even if you're sure that the issue is not what is being discussed, don't go this way. Simply turn the discussion to what your intuition tells you is the real problem.

So if your wife asks you one of those no-win questions like "Does this dress make me look fat?" or "Do you think I'm too fat?" and so on, you should respond tangentially. Something like "What's wrong, dear? Why are you asking that? You know I think you're beautiful." See? Don't discuss her weight or figure or hair. Not the point. Not the issue.

And part of loving someone is communicating and making that person a priority.

When your wife talks to you, ALWAYS drop what you are doing and listen. I have trouble with this one, but I see that it is what I should always TRY to be doing. If you really are tied up, simply say so and kindly ask if you could talk about it when you are finished.

Anyway, hope these ramblings are of some help. These things are very difficult to convey and you'll most certainly have to stumble around like we all did (and do). We're human, after all.

Good luck. Getting married was the very best thing I have ever done. Being married is great (as long as you are marrying someone you love).

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Put your wife's needs ahead of yours.

Learn to listen to her problems without voicing your solutions to her problems unless she asks for them. AKA being a sounding board.

Love your wife!!!!!!!

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read a survey a long time ago that I like to quote...

When asked what makes them unhappy, most married people gave reasons that result from being married.

When the same is asked of single people, they gave reasons that result from being single. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mark