Tempted by the Surefire L4

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason I hear an L4 calling my name, and I don't know why it is!

I already have a U2, but I really feel like buying a L4 for indoor use. There are occasions I'd like a smaller light than the huge U2, and the MN03 lamp in my E2e-SG is getting to look horribly yellow, fresh cells or not. I even re-checked the cells, 8 flash amps and 3.1V says they're fresh but they sure don't look like to me.. must be me getting used to LEDs.

I'd actually like to upgrade my E2e-SG to the power of a 5W Luxeon, but I don't get the clickie tailcap since they never made that in SG, and the colors don't match. So I guess I'll be better off buying a complete L4. I would LOVE an L4 in SG, but......

Also, I notice that there seems to be a difference in the laser etching - it is much sharper on the 'new' style Surefire bodies with the logo and the light name grouped together rather than the old style with the Surefire logo and L4 Digital Lumamax on opposite sides. Has anybody else noticed this?

All the more reason to spend money I shouldn't.. this madness is getting out of hand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Get a L4 and a Pila 168S. If I didn't have any 5 watt PR McLux lights, the L4 or the A2 would be my "bright" EDC light. These are in addition to my ARC4x and ARC AAA.

If you are going to use it a lot, the L4 with Pilas is hard to beat for a "bright" EDC light.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin,

I have to echo what others are saying here. The L4 is hard to beat for a little light that easily slips into the pocket and is good for just about all occasions (except, of course, for long-distance throw). The Pila 168s is ideally suited for the L4, and with a Balrog 1.5 body and a Pila 150s, the L4 becomes even smaller. I carry mine frequently.

Paul

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin, don't be tempted by it... Really...

Just GIVE IN!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know I'm getting one when I get enough $$ to spare... For now, I'll just have to pretend that my KL1 is the brightest light there is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Steve C

Enlightened
Kevin,

Unless you get a two-speed tailcap, the L4 is really much brighter than necessary for "normal" indoor use. My definition of "normal" is everyday around-the-house stuff.

I bought my L4/McE2s combo for EDC, but dropped it after I discovered the ambient light problem regarding LED primary lights.

If I recall, you're a LEO too; so if you have any intention of using an L4 for that work, re-consider. Were I already retired, I'd still have my L4; its a GREAT general purpose flashlight, especially with a two-speed option. It just won't punch through shadows caused by ambient light.

But for indoor use, for the price of an L4 you could buy two Streamlight 3AA Luxeon Task Lights, a pile of NiMH batteries and top shelf charger, and have plenty left over for 123s, another light, etc. That 3AA Luxeon Task Light is ideal for a house light or other "indoor" use, IMO. I use a New Beam/Mini-Mag daily at my work bench, but the Task Light gets grabbed for everything else.

Of course, if you just WANT an L4, then go for it... but I thought I detected a muted cry for help in your last sentence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic
The beam on my L4 is trully a "wall of light" as I have read many times here in the forum. GREAT for the size. Although it is true that it is more of a flood beam so it might not have enough trow for you. At very close distances, like working inside a PC, the L4 might be a tad too bright, but if I could only have one LED light, so far (and I am a newbe) my L4 would be my pick.

I like the L4 so much that I got a 1xcell Vital Gear body and a KL4 head for it. I am now trying to find a rechargable CR123 (4.2 volt type) to go along with this. Once I get the battery and charger, this will most likely replace my QIII as my EDC becuase it is very powerfull for the size.

Will

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL:

Man, I would definitely check out the latest L1 Lumamax with the high dome luxeon and (probably) the Lux III. It's not a 5 watter like the L4, but it is one H of a light that puts out a beautiful and strong penetrating beam on high, and just about a perfect low-level beam for dark-adapted situations. I have a lot of lights, and the L1 right now takes the cake away from the rest of 'em (my L4 included) for all around convenience.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin,

You know how I feel about my now departed L4. Get one. You'll never regret it.

Wilkey

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
wquiles said:
I like the L4 so much that I got a 1xcell Vital Gear body and a KL4 head for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you be willing to save some bucks and use the KL4 that came with your L4 with the VG1? Just a thought. (I know, I like "whole" lights too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

cy

Flashaholic
Kevin, forget about a L4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, get a KL4 w/E1E Mc2s driven by R123. that little combo is starting to take over EDC duties over U2.

kl4 u2.JPG

crashlander

Newly Enlightened
go for a L4 with McE2s, but take the Trim Tailcap, so You won´t loose the slim shape of this lamp. I really love the L4. It´s not that I have that much lights, but the L4 is with no doubt the coolest one.
I think of getting a E1e body for it to use the KL4 and the original clickie as a small light for some occasions. But not sure about that.
Surefire_L4_McE2s_oben.jpg

JanCPF

Enlightened
Kevin,
Are you saying you don't own an L4!!!!???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Quick, ask a moderator to close and delete this thread, and you may still be able to convince those that didn't get to read it, that you are a flashaholic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Then get an L4 and *maybe* we want to talk to you again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though. Like others said the L4 with a Pila 168S is a wonderfull flashlight, and the E1e+KL4+McE2S+R123 combo is the perfect EDC with 20-25 min. runtime on high in full regulation. And both constelations are beautiful to boot.

Jan (who's first "real" flashlight was an L4)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asking CPF to help thee avoid temptation is like a recovering alcoholic going to a keg party and you have 20 people screaming at you "DRINK UP! DRINK UP!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve C: Thanks for the excellent reasoning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif unfortunately I have been led into temptation already.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif no, I'm not a LEO, I just like crazy bright for night raids on the beer fridge. A combination of a bright flash from the refrigerator light and a high powered LED will cause the beer to simply sit there on the shelf, completely stunned and immobilized, so I can easily grab it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

JanCPF: You're mean! *runs off crying to jcciv* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Oh wait, isn't that the guy with all the lights..

Ginseng: no luck with the flamethrower? If same happened to my U2... *SHUDDER*

sotto: Luxeon 1 HDs are very nice, I happen to have the KL1. The L1 LumaMax is a little on the big side compared to the KL1/E1e combination.

Since I have the E1e, that means if I buy the L4, I will have all the components required to build the TW4... uh oh.....

And McE2S, MORE money! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ok ok. I like the clickie, I will see if I need that. What I'm finding is that the U2 is a little heavy on the neck lanyard and a bit too big for pockets in shorts when at home... ain't that sick? One light for outdoors EDC, one light for indoors EDC? This flashaholism thing is REALLY getting to me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Oh, and the L4 solves the 'too big for shirt and tie' problem which the U2 has. People keep wondering what is in those dress slacks and chicks wonder if you are thinking Bad Thoughts about them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I give up, I'd better get my L4 before the rest of CPF finds out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 is da bomb, baby! I have one and think it's fantastic. It lights up a room or a large area with no problem at all. And it is very compact. Hard to beat that package! Everyone should have at least one.

Mike