How to set up a double stack 4x123 ??

triplem

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in building a Mag 2D with the WA1318 driven by a double stack of 4x123.

Setting up the 3x123 in a 2C is easy but I've never tried to put together a double stack. Can someone please explain how you keep the batteries in place and establish the contact points. I'm new at this so I appreciate as much detail as possible.

Also, is the double stack going to be brighter then the same bulb (WA01318) driven by 4.5x123 in a 4C or will it simply have longer run time?

Thanks,

Neal

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Must be a secret. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

juancho

Enlightened
I tried last night. It dosen't fit in a 2 D; the stack is too long and even after changing the spring for a short one, I could not close the tailcap.

It is possible in a 3 D, and you get longer runtime.
Get a small diameter stick (mine is about 2 1/2 mm, from a little flag's mast, cut a little shorter than the 123's batteries) and tape the batteries to the stick.
You need two of them (8 batteries).
You need a half dummy battery. The easy way is to put a copper cap of the same diameter as a D battery. In the open part of the cap you tape a D battery top part, (the one with the nipple) they are easier to remove from Duracell batteries.
Now you need a big washer and two small washers for the negative contact.
Solder or super glue the small washers to the big washer, and you're done!

Juan C.

juancho

Enlightened
S5300066.jpg

This is a picture of the explanation above.

Juan C.

triplem

Newly Enlightened
Juan, Thanks for the description & photo. It helps.

I thought bwaites & Ginseng posted in another thread that the double stack 4x123 worked in a 2D. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe I'll just use the same bulb in a 4C with 4.5x123.

Thanks,

Neal