.5 Nuwais: Any way to mod current higher from Nimh

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the form factor of these latest Nuwai offerings. The .5 seems to be inbetween a 5mm and lux, but so far the current to the led isn't taking full advantage, or so it seems. Considering that the guts have been exposed in another thread, here is my question, electronics and mod gurus: can this light be modded to draw more current from a Nimh cell and deliver it to the led?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
I really like the form factor of these latest Nuwai offerings. The .5 seems to be inbetween a 5mm and lux, but so far the current to the led isn't taking full advantage, or so it seems. Considering that the guts have been exposed in another thread, here is my question, electronics and mod gurus: can this light be modded to draw more current from a Nimh cell and deliver it to the led?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it could be modded to draw more current from the battery by reducing the value of Rsense. Whether it could deliver more to the led is less certain. The key consideration is whether the inductor can take more current without saturating.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just seems to me that more can be had from this platform, especially the 2AAA version. I would be willing to sacrifice some runtime for more brightness, so long as heat doesn't become a consideration like it does with luxeons.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
It just seems to me that more can be had from this platform, especially the 2AAA version. I would be willing to sacrifice some runtime for more brightness, so long as heat doesn't become a consideration like it does with luxeons.

[/ QUOTE ]
Will the head from the 1AAA fit on the 2AAA battery tube?
If so, you might try it. If it draws more current than the 2AAA head [which I would expect] you can see if much brightness is gained over that of the 2AAA head. If not, I would say that the emitter is already being pushed hard enough at the 2AAA head levels.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
at 99% the led and step-up board of the 1 AAA and the 2 AAA are exactly the same, try with a li-ion AAA size and tell me the difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif