Advice for a new flashlight?!

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I am reading nearly all the posts for about half a year now and finally managed to get my account running /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...

But I am not here to say just hello, I need advice for the purchase of a new flashlight: First of all, I tell You what I need, second maybe you can tell me what I "have to want" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I need an LED light (LuxIII), mainly for EDC with good runtime (1.5hrs+), good throw (reflector or optics- I don't mind) useable sidespill and most important: at least two brightness levels, on the lower level enough for finding your wayon a walk and reading without beeing blinded. On 'high' I want something in the range between 35- 50 lm of total output with reasonable throw.

After reading long time in the CPF, I figured out four possible lights that may suit my requirements:
1. SF L1
2. HDS EDC Basic 42/ 60
3. ALPEH 1 1xCR123
4. YOUR ADVICE

So, it's Your turn...

PS: It would be very nice if any adapter for AA batteries might fit to 'my' light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AlecGold

Enlightened
mmmh, an L1 is very nice.
but why not an U2 in which you can put rechargable batteries?
It has the brightness (even more) it has a very long runtime it is very good for reading as well a nice ballance between spill and trhow.
But a L1 is perhaps even better for your needs, I don't know if it accepts rechargables.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your criteria seem remarkably similar to what I'm looking for in an EDC as well. For me, price has been what is prohibitive for a 1x123 Luxeon with adjustable light levels. There are good cheap ones without levels in the $30-$40 range, mainly Nuwai Quantum III and Inova T1(not a LuxIII but darn good). But all of those you mention (don't forget the Lionheart) will be at least $100 US or significantly more, and as far as I know these are the only current production options available. I know some people have had good results modding a Nuwai Quantum III to have 2 brighness levels, but by the time you buy the stock light and get the mod done, the price will be in the same territory. Lets hope Nuwai comes out with a production 2 stage version. Eventually, I'll probably break down and get the EDC basic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll have to change my signature then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

sniper

Enlightened
Welcome, Moose. You might take a look at the Pelican M6 LED on the Batterystation CPF page. At $46 It sounds like it might be what you are looking for. A great review at Flashlightreviews.com, too. I've about made up my mind to order me one, with a bunch of batteries.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
I have a Streamlight TL 2L Luxeon III LED light.
It has a high & low output, uses two 123A batteries.
The beam is nice and bright with good throw. Run
time about 2-3 hrs. on high and 11 on low. I have
adapted mine so that I can use the Pila 168a
rechargable battery. Works great - I love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go to flashlightreviews.com for info.

Tom

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
A "McGizmo" (built by Don, McGizmo himself) ALeph 2 ; "A2-NG500-15ohm-1xH3-Ha-Nat" is great (also has a tritium marker on tailcap!)

(click for larger image!)
Gold Nitraded ALeph 1 is by "Jets 22" with an ArcMania Converter at 600ma;

Both have "regular" tailcaps and are super on "low".

Alephs are great lights and "expandable" (don't know if that is the right term, maybe "parts interchangeable with other Aleph and Surefire parts"), too.

Good Luck with your choices

jeffb

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like HockeyMoose is looking for a light smaller than 2 x cr123a. I agree the Alephs are great. They have everything you are looking for. I don't know about a HDS , I had an Arc 4 which was pretty nice but a little dim for my taste.

If you use a 3V circuit in an Aleph you can get a Aleph compatible 3XCr123a body and run two AA in it.

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your quick responses! I see, there are at least two more fresh threads concerning the EDC problem:):)

Does there already a review of the SF U2 exist?
The costs for the light doesn't matter so far, but I only want to buy one item and not "buy em both":)
Is it complicated to change the optics in the L1 head to a reflektor?
Does anyone have an Aleph running on two AA's?(I think I like the possibility of upgrading the Light if I want to;))

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
The SF L1 uses both an optic and a reflector. AFAIK, it's not easy to change them, although one of the modders here will probably make a liar out of me.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you have really good pics for an EDC moose, the HDS Basic is in line to take over the ARC 4+ with good output and it's a good shape and size to carry around or clip to your belt. As is the Aleph, however the Aleph is expandable which IMHO makes it a better and more adaptable light over all others in your short list. Although I do not own any of the lights you have on your list beacause my EDC requirements are different than yours (my EDC is my TnC Keylux N cell Proto #6).

Doug

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf hockeymoose, all your picks are good choices, but none will use AA. closest would be aleph using 3x 123 body, which the same length as 2x AA. a little too long for EDC.

look at TNC AA, with 14500 li-ion output is bright as all the picks above. with AA output is still very useable. The problem is finding one.

diggdug13, so you ended up with my old TNC #P-06. that is one sweet light. my EDC before getting replaced w/Li14430.

L1 optic change is not hard, but very dificult to keep from scratching without proper tools.

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
I planed to use the CR123 version for EDC and wanted a 2AA option for travelling and trailrunning(with rechargeables).
If I could get such an adapter for an ALEPH, it's my choice because I know myself, if I get new stuff it doesn't last for a long time without the attempt of being improved...:)

L

LITEmania

If you want 2AA 3W.....no doubt EL XM-3

If you want rechargable AA, I have a few left of NL Star 3W2AA. But this has rather Greenish tint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Warren,

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moose, for the AA I would definatly agree with cy and get a TnC Keylux AA, dang bright and awsome in usefulness. I don't know about an AA adapter for an aleph but you never know what's out there.

CY, yes it's an awsome light, I got it off of AWTYD no more than a week after he got it from you. I don't go anywhere without it. Let me know when you get rid if your Li14430 (yea like that will ever happen) because you and I basically look for the same in EDC.

Doug

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure Henry made mention of eventually putting out a AA body for the HDS EDCs. Who knows how long that will be though.