Rubbers for your Flashlight???

juancho

Enlightened
It is cold here in the northeast during this time of year. A flashlight stored in the trunk of a car is very uncomfortable to hold at the time of using it.

Thusly, your hands can benefit from the use of rubber grips in flashlights.

The one picture with the Brinkmann 2-3-5 is a 1980's SureGrip by Pachmayr, a tube of rubber that must be slid into the flashlight after wetting it with hairspray.

S5300069.jpg

The newer Pac-skin by Pachmayar is a sheet of neoprene rubber, 5 x 20" and .050" thick, that you peel-n-stick (self-stick) to the flashlight after sizing.

Juan C.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
weird. i have some things like those for the brakes on my bike called "Lizard Skins". spray them with hairspray then slide them on the breaks.

they work pretty good. i'd imagine it'd be nice for flashlights too if it's thick enough. we've had -20ºF or colder weather for two weeks straight now. i think those two in your picture might be too thin. not too thin to lessen the cold, but too thin to match an actual rubber bodied (or even plastic) light.

good idea tho!

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've used an old bike inner tube on my Mags. IT's also a quick fix if your push button dies; you cover it up with a piece of inner tube, and you're ready to roll!

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I been using the inner bike tyre tubing too on my E1e and E2e... Bad thing is they're hard to get on... good thing is its thick and lasting! You can also get some shrink tubing (varied sizes) which will make it much easier too...

luxlover

Banned
Juan,
When I saw the title of your post, I got all excited /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif with anticipation, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif not knowing what to expect. Imagine my disappointment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif when I saw that the "rubbers" were to be used on cold aluminum bodied flashlights! The 0.050" thickness of the newly designed skin should provide some insulation from the cold, and a nice cushiony grip.

You are a very resourceful "hombre." Your idea will at least make it so that if you handle a frozen light and release your fingergrip, it will not be a permanent part of your anatomy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif Keep on truckin', amigo!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of the old style ones on a Mag 6D. It's a great sleeve. Haven't seen of of the neoprene ones.

RussH

Enlightened
Nightize offers a thick grip like the old style C or D pachmayr grips. I put one on my FT-3C and put the one cell section that I cut off on my 6C mag that already had the '5cell' length Pachmayr grip. It matches the old grip almost exactly except the older one looks older, for some reason. I've used inner tubes on a few new mags, too.

n_den

Newly Enlightened
try using the rubber grips billiard players use, not pool players. available in different colors and thinkness. and instead of sliding it on, they roll it on. way easier.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used 3/4" shrink tube on a McGizmo 2-123 black HA tube. Very hard to slip on as it fit tight. I heat shrunk it but it wasn't really necessary. The shrink tube is not as grippy as I would like though. I'm open to other ideas.

Argent60

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
juancho said:
Looks like the grip from a Garrity 2 AA with the clicky tailcap switch.
I think that Wal-Mart sell them with the Ozark Trail's name.

Juan C.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good eyes. I found it to be a perfect fit(both in circumference and in length). I just got done doing the clickie mod to one of my G2's and noticed the similar size of the two.