suggestions for nightstand lights for my kids

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm open for suggestions.
My kids LOVE to sleep with a flashlight on their nightstands (yea I'm teaching them right), but currently they have a pair of shake lights for night stand light (diffenently the wrong lights) I need a light that will last along time (cuz everyone knows kids love to play with lights), I need a shutdown timer, and good battery life. the only one that I can think of right now with those requirements is the PALight but they are too small for a night stand light, need something small (but not PALight small) and cheap, Cuz they are kids and not ready for "good" lights yet.

Thanks
Doug

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tricky part, I think, is the shutdown timer. There aren't a lot of lights with that anyway, much less small and cheap ones. .

wmirag

Enlightened
I think you should reconsider the PalLight Gold. I gave (uh, I mean Santa gave) my kids these lights a few years ago and they have been absolutely great. The find-me beacon helps when they misplace the light. The rubber makes dropping them no problem. The HIGH is plenty bright enough to scare most monsters away. And the low beam is tight enough that we play spelling games on the ceiling just before bed. At $20 a pop these are hard to beat.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Two possible options:
CMG/Gerber Ultra (long runtime)
Make your own out using a 9v batt, a resistor, a toggle switch, and a 5mm LED in an old film canister. They're fun to make with your kids and they'll last for ages too.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Not exactly a flashlight, but still much fun for kids (and flashaholics) is the CK Sauce Light Wand. It uses one AA, provides 3 colors, either changing or static, along with combining for white. There is an overridable timer (9 min.). Has a breakaway lanyard and is kid tough. Check out Craig's review at the world famous LED Museum site. More fun than a barrel of Maglites!!

Geoff

LightHearted

Enlightened
How about any light that only has a momentary on switch like the Dorcy 1AAA. That way as soon as the child sets the light down, it goes off. You don't need to teach them the trick about twisting the tail cap for constant on.

Ken

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe most of the Eternalights have timers built in as a feature. They turn of one led every two mins or something like that. Kids like the other features, too.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wmirag said:
I think you should reconsider the PalLight Gold. I gave (uh, I mean Santa gave) my kids these lights a few years ago and they have been absolutely great.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean Santa isn't real..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gifNooooo, it isn't true!!!!!!

LOL, sorry for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brody

Newly Enlightened
You might try the Playskool Color Glow flashlight. It has a small lever built into the handle. As long as the lever is held, the light stays on. If you release the handle, the light turns off after about 30 seconds. This light also can light up in a few different colors, which can be more interesting to look at if he is staring at the spot it puts out on the wall or ceiling

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
There's a CK Sauce wall-wash light also which might work for a nightlight. You can adjust from a varying color wash to a static color mix of your choice, and you can adjust the brightness. The only thing it's missing is a photocell.

I also ran across a photocell-controlled white LED nightlight at Walgreen's the other day. I think it was $3.99 or thereabouts.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure which shake lights you are using that aren't working out, but I would check the "zzzLite" by Techass (eternalight). Here's the URL:
http://www.techass.com/el/zlite/zlite.php?techass=2798862b0242a8e48550af8d774dab55
I have both the zzzlite and zzzflame- they shake on and off and have timers to dim and then shut off after 15min. The color changing is very relaxing/mesmerizing and the 3AA batts last a really long time since the zzzlite only has one 5mm color changing LED inside which puts out a perfectly soothing amount of light(The zzzflame is too bright since it has 4 LED's and the case is less opaque). The light is pretty much waterproof (its case is more or less a beverage container). For $20 shipped, I think its a good deal and you might and up stealing them to add ambience to cocktail parties.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two little ones got the PaLight workman for X-mas a couple of years ago. It is a nice light with always on glow, and after 15 or 20 minutes of being on it will shut off(back to always glow)

mut

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I bought a few GE timer touchlights that run off 4AA cells I plan on modding with LEDs and changing out the capacitor to enable runtime of more than 1 minute per touch.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
wmirag,
I think you are right I was thinking that they might be too small for my children. I have two PALights and love em. and with the timer function of them they go off if they are left on, and the constant glow it keeps them happy. Off to the ledlight.com to buy somemore workman PALights for the kids.

thank you
Doug

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Solstice, those Zzz...Lites are really awesome for the kids. I use my two for my sons every night. I'm really suprised that we don't hear more about them form the people here at CPF. They really are mesmerizing to watch, and I think they are the perfect kid's nightlight. The color changing effect is very soothing, and I think it actually helps to induce sleep. I only wish I had found them when my kids were cranky infants, I think they would have been a real help. The only thing I would change about them would be to make the timer longer or somehow adjustable.

You need to check these out, you won't be disappointed. In fact, I think with some marketing toward new parents, these things could become a "must have" item, much like a baby monitor or swingchair. A couple of favorable write-ups in parenting mags, or Oprah shows one on TV, and this thing could be making someone millions of dollars in no time. It's an excellent product that's just waiting to be discovered.

Peter

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litefuse

I've been looking at the Zzz..Litesfor sometime but was a little bit skeptical because I haven't heard anything about them pro or con from the community. hearing from you and reading the website (and the sale price of 19.99) make them something I will definatly have to buy for my kids.

Thank you
Doug

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to find a light similar to the Zzz...Light, but with a much shorter, perhaps five minute runtime. I need the light on long enough to enter my room and get to bed.

I emailed Techass and asked if they could reprogram the light to stay on for a shorter duration, and they said they would look into it, but it's been a few weeks with no update. :(

I wish it came with an adjustable timer.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Proton Pro, Photon Freedom, Photon Rex, and LiteFlux LF2XT all have 3 minute timers. I wish it was a bit longer and variable would be great.

Geoff