Uk light cannon for mag hid

knifebright

Enlightened
Ok
i'm an all about led guy. So forgive me if this sounds ridiculous and cant be done. I really want to get my hands on a mag hid set up. I know that they are rare so i was going to try to make one myself. Would it be at all possible to take the guts out of the uk light cannon and put them in a mag 2d or 3d and run it off a single stack of 4x123. Or perhaps its a double stack.... anyway i have no clue whats going on with hid's or incans for that matter. I did build a luxv minimag last night but that's another story for another day. Please help me with this project.
jimmy

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think there'd be an easier way to do it. The Light Cannon is a lot bigger, I'm pretty sure you'd have to completely redo the electronics to get them to fit in a Maglite body. Not like a file-down jobber, like a complete redo. Plus, you'd be killing off a perfectly good light. There's got to be a better way to do it, and I'd think you'd be able to do it for less than buying a new UK. But I could definately be wrong. .

vacuum3d

Enlightened
jimmy,
You should check out this thread . Talk to ufokillerz to see what he has in stock. All you need is a ballast and a HID bulb. If you're lucky, you can locate a bored out Mag body and a modded reflector from him as well. See what he has in stock. That would be your best bet. You can get the ballast and HID bulb from the UK Cannon. Others have done it. It would be a bit cheaper if you could get the ballast and bulb from ufokillerz. BrightGuy.com sells the HID bulb if ufokillerz doesn't have it (he might be out of bulbs because I cleaned him out last week). You could use 4x123 if you have the battery adapter. I use 8xAA nimh. You have many options.

ernest

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
See this thead from Lambda who did exactly what you're planning on doing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a MiniHID from the group buy that ernest point out above.. It's definitely a fantastic mod and you will definitely not regret doing it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kiu

Enlightened
As Ernest mentioned, it should be the cheapest way if you can get the ballast from ufokillerz. I get the ballast & bulb from LC100.
I guess this mod can be easily done if you got a lathe. For the Mag2HID, you also need UCL, AL reflector, 8AA to 2D holder. (I suppose you may already known)
To fit the ballast in, bore out the tube to ~39.x mm (x depends on individual ballast), 37-40mm depth.
Beaware the +/- of the bulb/ballast, I could post a picture about this if you require later.
Wish you success in early coming.