L4 vs L2 brightness - compared 'em!

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 vs L2 brightness - compared \'em!

Weird - just posted this, but it didn't show up!

Anyway, a while back I asked why the L4 is rated at 60 lumens, which the L2, also a 5W 6V light with apparantly the same diameter head, is rated at 100. Well, I just got my L2 and compared it to the L4.

And the answer is, other than a difference in tint (my L4 is whiter, the L2 is a bit violet), they seem to be the same. Same beam diameter, same brightness, same donut hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The L2 does have the nice two stage output. I think the low beam is good enough for just about 95% of what I want a light for! Maybe I'll swap heads, if that's possible, so the L2 has the whiter beam.

Mike

Steve C

Enlightened
Re: L4 vs L2 brightness - compared \'em!

In terms of perceived brightness, I saw the same thing, Mike; i.e., no difference. But the L2 did seem to have more "area" in the flood.

Having both in hand, I opted for the L4, but eventually let it go too, due to the ambient light problem inherent with LED light. I need to be able to penetrate those shadows...

If I were to go back on the road, I might get another L2 for working wrecks. Within 20 yards, that puppy illuminates EVERYTHING out to the edge of peripheal vision; IOW, its perfect for poking around a dark scene, and the low setting would be good for making notes as one poked around. The ambient light problem is not an issue here; there are few goblins lurking around crash scenes.

One of our pilots got my L2. He says its just the ticket for pre-flighting a helicopter on high setting, but the low setting is too bright for in the cockpit. They are issued some sort of small red LED light for that, anyway.

The L2 is a neat light. But, except for working a wreck at night, it wouldn't be my first choice.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I do work wrecks at night (never the day since I'm volunteer, and the days are handled by the day-shift kids), so we'll see how it does! I've used the L4 once or twice, but really I often grab a Streamlight lightbox for the flood.

Mike

Sixpointone

Enlightened

Mike,

Although I am not an expert, I would not suggest changinh the heads on the L2 and L4 flashlights.

Reason being, as I understand it, the 'brains' of the L4 is in the head of the light, whereas the 'brains' of the L2 are in the body. So whereas they might, or might not, physically fit, it couldvery well damage the lights.

I am sure that someone more informed on the details might reply, but I wanted to give you a quick heads up.

BTW, if by chance I am incorrect, I would be more than pleased to be corrected. I just did not want to see Mike risk damaging his Surefire lights.

Thanks,
John

PhantomZ

Enlightened

i have the L2 and bought my friend an L4 for christmas last month. comparing both our lights the L2 in my case has a wider flood and is whiter in colour. the L4 seems more green and throws abit farther. both lights have the donut hole. i'd still choose the L2 if i had to start over again buying my first LED light. although the length of the L4 is nice and it can take rechargeables~

paulr

Flashaholic

You can't swap the heads. If you want a 2-level L4, get a McE2S 2-level tail switch on McGizmo's forum or thru the Sandwich Shoppe and put it on your L4. It will be a little bit less battery-efficient on the low setting than the L2 is, but have the same functionality.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I looked into that. It's an expensive mod. I believe he is asking almost half of what I paid for the light. That is going to take some thought! No doubt it's not overpriced when you consider parts and time, but still...

Mike

Steve C

Enlightened

Mike, I had the McGizmo two-speed tailcap on my L4. If this light is just a passing experiment, then don't bother with the tailcap. If you intend it to be a primary light, by all means get one. It doubles the L4's versatility. The 22 ohm version is probably the best, in terms of light level on low, for what you will be doing.

In any event, you won't have any difficulty selling your McGizmo tailcap if you decide its not for you.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was looking at them on the McGizmo forum. They do look very nice, expecially the ones with a guarded button. I'd like to be able to stand the light up. Still thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got an Aleph 3 with the McE2S tailcap. Unfortunately, I'm not able to use my thumb in a one-handed grip to activate the high level, unless I've got the tailcap turned so that low level is on constant. That's the only thing I don't like about it and that's not the tailcap's fault - my thumbs are just too short. There's a post about how to tune the McE2S, so I'm going to look into that when I get a chance.

Lara

Newly Enlightened

I had the chance to play with an Aleph for a couple of minutes and the high level is too stiff for me too.