KL3 Question...

Steve C

Enlightened
KL3 on a 9P body... will the extra 123 provide brighter light, or just more runtime?

I have a KL3 on a 6P body w/Z49 clickie. A great house light. I've been offered a NIB 9P at a good price, but really have no use for another 123-powered incan.

However, if the extra cell offers a brighter light, then it may be worth getting.

TIA...

jbev

Newly Enlightened
No you will not get more brightness, just longer runtime.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
A basic (not easy to do) mod like replacing the nxo5 with an IMS 27 mm reflector and a Lux III High Dome would really bring that KL3 around. I have a Chop modded KL3 that is out of this world. Pelican reflector / Lux III and juiced up to 1.2 ah. It is on top of a G2 body and Z49 clickie. When I added the Surefire 1 cell extender the light seemed out of balance and took longer to aquire a good hold. I have average size hands so if you have bigger hands the longer body might not bother you.

Steve C

Enlightened
Thanks all.

I have spoken with Chop in the past regarding KL3 mods. He definitely knows what he is about.

But I prefer to stay with stock/issue items. You guys answered my question. And Wolfen's comment about the extra cell making the light somewhat ungainly is also what I was wondering about.

So, 10-22 on the 9P...

redcar

Enlightened
Meal Break???

anyway.. with the 9P+KL3 you can use 2 AA. Probably not a great runtime, but in a pinch you will get some light.

Steve C

Enlightened
10-22 means "Disregard last transmission"... IOW, "never mind"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My actual "regular" house lights are a Streamlight 3W Lux Task Light and an OpaLec NewBeam/Mini-Mag combo. I agree, AAs are the way to go for "non-tactical" use. The 6P/KL3 combo is a back-up to those; mainly because I thought it was a neat combination and couldn't bring myself to sell it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

redcar

Enlightened
Disregard here is Signal-9...

Don't get a 9P, just order an A19 for your 6P from SureFire. Then you can use 2x123 for 4+ hours, or add the A19 for 3x123 giving 7 hours, or use 2 AA's if you run out of 123's.

I have the combo and also got some P90 bulbs to use with the 3x123. I like that bulb a lot, but that is for another forum.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although the KL3 doesn't run brighter on the 3 cell body, as mentioned above, you will get a better run time. It you don't want to sacrifice runtime but want better output, you could have the KL3 modded with a high dome luxeon and reflector, while leaving the stock bias. This doesn't affect runtime, except that it might extend it a bit, but it results in a vastly improved output. You really wouldn't believe how much light you'll get out of a nice Lux III running at 400mA (stock bias) with the McR27 reflector.

My modded KL3 typically makes two or three camping trips before I need to change batteries in it.

If you want/need a three cell light, I'd get a three cell light. The A19 cell extender is nice and works, but it does introduce some resistance into the electrical path. If you plan to run the light with the A19 on it all of the time, then I'd just get the three cell light.

Steve C

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. The current set-up (two cells, stock KL3/6P body/Z49)) is more than satisfactory; I was just wondering about the 9P body, since it was offered to me at an attractive price.

I need another light like I need another hole in my head...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Steve,
We'll leave the hole to you. On the other hand, need help with another light and we can most certainlhy help!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif