SureFire M4 x4x2

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I was long overdue for a silly mod and with SHOT coming up and everybody else doing clustered LED's, it was time to work in something rediculous. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

close-up.jpg

components.jpg

side-shot.jpg

SPECS:

BB500 drives one or the other bank of 4x LuxIII's wired in series. On 12 Vin, the converter draws 550 mA on high output (there is a resistored 30 ohm two stage switch for eye saving low level). A rotating collar selector switch directs the BB's out put to either the 4x with 20 mm McR-20's or to the 4x that are just below the window and provide lambertian flood with no artifacts or hot spots. The head can be hosted on a M3 or M6 power pack as well. The M3 would be nice with 2xLi-Ion.

From real close to medium far, this silly lights does real well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

rookie

Enlightened
Cool....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

That is one AWESOME light, Don! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

cy

Flashaholic
Don, that's some original tinkering! is that another bank of emitters under the Xx2?

akula88

Enlightened
This is another one of those DrooLight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Me want one...

Seriously, Don, can this mod be also done on a KT2 instead of a KT4?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! *keels over and faints*

Don owns all of us yet again! (it must be his revenge upon me for mentioning a clear anodized A2 head in his divine presence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif) I bow to the master, O Great One! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

*goes back to the drawing board for the Mag3X* man I never knew the humble BB500 could do that kinda damage! You've really opened up a whole new world of possibilities for things that I never imagined could happen. In my limited imagination, DD was the best way to achieve what I wanted, not realizing that some of CPF's finest had already created regulators which were more than up to the task.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

Wayne Y. beefed up the BB some time ago so it could handle higher than typical flashlight voltages. As I recall, it was for the Shark LED project. Although I was aware of this, I have been too involved in the Aleph series and other single die applications to find the time to take advantage of it. The 3x5mm was the first chance I got and it provided a little more incentive to try to get to this idea. There is also the question of real estate. This light has a 2.5" diameter head and yet the photon management is done with a reflector that is less than 1" in diameter. I went to do this mod over a month ago but when I looked at all of the wasted space with the 4x 20 mm reflectors, I decided that I wouldn't do this unless I stuck some additional LED's in there to justify the over all size of the head. That additional self imposed requirement was enough to put the parts back on the shelf for another day.

Another significant change in the BB that allowed me to go with this is the fact that the BB will not go into instant death if the output is "open" or there is no load. I have no idea if the SPST toggle switch I used has an instant of no load when it is switched but it doesn't matter.

There is one consideration that I failed to recall and it almost resulted in this mod being an exercise in futility! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif At one point yesterday, after final asembly of what had been working flawlessly up to that point, I found that the light would not work! Just a dim glow from the LED's on either circuit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif The BB has a common ground so isolation of the LED slugs was not needed (all 8 of them). However, wiring the LED's in series is a problem that has been mentioned in the past and one that I failed to recall! As it turned out, I was able to save this mod by isolating the E-can from the pedestal by taking the thing apart and machining a delrin joint or coupling that joins the E-can and pedestal. I still had my doubts because the M4 battery tube has chem film on its threads and I was depending on the HA of the threads in the turbo head to isolate the ground path. Fortunately it did! I have seen anodized heat sinks criticized because the anodize film is a poor thermal conductor. Well Lumileds in their infinite wisdom has designed the Luxeon so that the slug requires electrical isolation but the best thermal conductivity available; most material choices are at odds here. After this near failure, I am opting for anodized sinks from now on, regardless! WIth some recent designs from scratch, I have become acutely aware of the head and batery tube as a means of either providing or isolating the ground path and I have been trying to make my designs viable whether the head and power pack are electrically conductive or not. In the case of the battery tube being used as the ground conductor, there are obvious limitations and considerations.

I played with this light late last night (actually this morning) and it does what we would wish the L4 would do! Talk about a wall of light! At 20' with the flood group on in high, there is no evident beam; just light everywhere in front of the head. If you need to reach out further, twist the ring to the columated group and you have a strong spill illuminating the foreground and a very useful hot spot that gets out there. I like the irony of taking a turbohead that was designed specifically for throw and using it to host a package that is opptimal for the other side of the coin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is outrageously kewl! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif for Don!

Britt

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This was rushed and a lot "shot from the hip". Given the volume that is wasted in the rear end of the head, had time and energy permitted. I would have turned a more sophisticated primary bulkhed/ sink and used an Aleph LE set so the BB could screw into the head. With output contact points on the front of the LE and mating contacts in the head, I could have done a reasonable driver like what is in here as well as an additional BB driver going for max output if hosted on the M6 pack, forinstance. One does need to draw the line somewhere though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I checked with Wayne and the BB has an upper voltage limit close to 20 volts now. If one is willing to add the cost of additional light sources, I think you could do a very useful "lighting center" mod with one of the hand held lanterns! With a 4" face and room for circuits and switches, one could add spot and flood elements as well as even red or other colors.

The value of a lambertian LED as a source for full and even flood for task or close illumination should not be underestimated! Alone, it is certainly limited but as a remora on a host with a columitated light source as well, very cool, IMHO!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Once again, I am speechless.

Of course, being the electronics dummy that I am, I have to ask. Running the luxeons in series like that with a BB500, how much current is each luxeon getting?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tony, therein is the beauty! In series the current is constant and the voltage drop across each LED is that which is corresponds to the Vf of the LED at that current level. For four LuxIII's in series, the voltage needs to be the sum of their Vf's or somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 volts with the 500 mA bias on these J bin emitters. This means that the BB has to boost to the 13 volts; not too much effort with a Vin of 9 or 12 Volts, considering the hosts.

The short answer is each LED is getting 500 mA.

EDIT: I don't know what the current is on low with the 30 ohm resistor but it is likely pretty low. Here is a shot with the flood LED's on in the low mode:

angled.jpg

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohhhhh!! Now I get it. Well, doo-doo. It looks like I'm going to have to tear that 3X3 mag mod apart and do it differently.

That mod of yours has to be a beast. Mine's running three Lux IIIs at 350mA each and it puts out tons of light. It's not a great thrower, but does OK.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the Badboy will limit somewhere around 20V with no load. You can drive the Shark UV which is somewhere around 18V with the Badboy or many 5mm in a series parallel.

Wayne