Latest KL1 version thoughts

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a E1e + KL4 + z57 combo (TW4) using R123 batteries. I just received the latest KL1 head (LuxIII) because I also wanted the option to have longer runtime and more throw.

First thing I noticed is that it uses an optic instead of a reflector. So I turned it on. It threw a bright little spot pretty far. The optic, however, puts ALL the light into the hotspot. There was practically no sidespill. The KL1 definitely has more throw at the expense of no side spill. Great for signaling, tough to use for up close work. I was hoping for something with at least a little side spill. Is there a reflector I can get for it? What about a different optic?

I may as well be using a laser beam for general illumination.

Dont get me wrong...I like throw. I LOVE throw! But give me some teeny side spill so I can walk around with it.

14C

Enlightened
It's a great light for throw and for general distance illumination and runtime. I prefer the KL1 Gen III because there IS sidespill. a 17 mm reflector would work well I bet. I am sure you can find someone here, maybe Chop, to put a reflector in it. I am also sure that if you do it will be a killer light.

14C

Enlightened
Yes I do. Since it is the new version and you receied it recently..and you describe the tight beam and the Lux III. The Gen defs are informal and I use them that way. If the unit you have shows a tight squarish beam with a white majority and some off color artifacts around the edges it is a Gen IV. Also the packages I have seen for the Gen IV say 3W luxeon on then....there has been some discussion on that here on CPF since Lux IIIs are not necessarily 3W Luxeons but may be driven at that level and because the latestr generation KL1 units seem to be driven at more like 600 mA than what the earlier versions were - Lux Is at around 350 mA.

Hope this helps.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
kl1t-turbohead-2.jpg

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine definitely looks like the one on the left!

Throws like a champ but nooooo side spill. If the 4th gen is the only gen that is driven at 600ma, then I will want to keep this one and just change out the optic with a reflector. If the 3rd gen is also a Lux III then perhaps I'll find a trade.

Is the 3rd gen KL1 a Lux III?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd gen is definitely driven at 350mA. Some intrepid modders have tweaked them to run at 500 or even 700mA, however.

The word is out from the pros that the 4th-gen KL1 is sealed like a safe and it can be extremely hard to mod, so the 3rd-gen is still a better mod candidate. It is a Lux 1 HD with NX05 optic.

Basically, get a poorly performing 3rd-gen, or even 2nd/1st-gen (for purposes of this discussion we may assume they are identical and can be modified the same way). Get expert modder (not me) on CPF to tweak drive current to 500/700 at your discretion, change it to a SO17XA or even SO20XA. Change Lux1 LD/HD emitter to Lux3 of your choosing, bin, color, etc.

You'll have one of the sweetest lights around once you're done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The narrow beam has always been my problem with the latest KL1. That's why a I think that a modified earlier generation KL1 makes a better all around light.

If you want a better all around light, you could sell your 4th gen KL1 and get an earlier model and have it modded.

Many on CPF do KL1 mods. I do them, TylerDurden, does them, and, of course, the grand daddy of the KL1 mod, CM does them among others.

Of course, you could just get an Aleph II head in Natural HA and be done with it.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's *****. Mine looks like the 4th generation.. BUT in a square shape. It has a beautiful almost perfectly white light. I love it!!! It is worth it!

How about the kl4. For me, that is a HUGE investment, but is it worth it on the e1e?

-tom

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you use a rechargeable 123 battery, in which case, you will - and it's going to be crazy bright. The KL4 runs in regulation with full power on those /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Kevin, that FAQ entry doesn't address the E1e/KL4 combo that GR was asking about.

I would be interested in this information also. Does anyone know?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
*SMACK!* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

*puts the bourbon down and slowly backs away*

Sorry guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif I read E1e, then thought this topic was about the KL1, so I mentally put E1e+KL1 together, not realizing the "4" there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
xpitxbullx - don't forget you can put a Surefire "Beamshaper" on that Gen4 KL1 and get a lot more spill. Then if you really need the spot, the Beamshaper slips right off.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1e + KL4 + R123 runtime test

I just tested the runtime on the E1e + KL4 (TW4 combo) with a R123 from batterystation.

Runtime to 50% = 27 minutes (It started its decline around the 18 minute mark)

Runtime to rapid flickering = 40 minutes (about 5-10 lumens at this point)

Runtime to shutdown = After 53 minutes (at about 2-3 lumens) It seemed it was going to stay at this level for a while so I got bored and ended the test. You could easily use it at this level (even with the rapid flickering) to walk in a dark room and get some fresh batteries. At this point I put the R123 in my Q-III and it fired right up. Still plenty of juice to run a Lux III.

Hope this info was helpful!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts