Advice on DVDR-VCR combo?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try to get a model that will record and play back S-VHS-(as well as the substandard VHS). That way there won't be such an astounding image quality difference between the DVD and the videotape. At least the SVHS is a lot better than the regular VHS. DVD makes regular VHS look just terrible -by comparison. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

And that way, of course you'll always be able to record OR play any VHS or S-VHS tape to it's maximum capability.

You will have to look a little for such a model, as they are not that easy to find, and they are a little more expensive when you do find one, but worth it-IMO. JVC and Mitsubishi make a couple of those models.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
The Toshiba D-VR3 is a very nice model. It is a progressive scan player, has a IEEE1394DV input right in the front for connecting a digital camcorder, can play back JPEGs and MP3s, and was available at Costco for significantly less than other stores around Christmas.

I don't recall if it has the S-VHS capability though.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just came across an article in the online New York Times with a review of 4 models here. Registration login IDs for nytimes from bugmenot available here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've owned one of these combo things, and worked with several others at friends and relatives. I don't think I'll ever purchase another DVD/Vcr combo device. In each case i think they are overpriced and that the quality of the individual components is not up to what you could get for not much more money in individual units. Plus, the internal connection between the 2 parts is sketchy at best. i think you can do a better job of managing your TV with separate parts and a switcher.

but thats just me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Perhaps you have space constraints or other reasons for wanting them all in one device.

i have a problem with adding a VCR to any any other device. A VCR is a very mechanical thing, with lots of little plastic moving parts. the heads can get fouled and out of alignment easier than you'd think. i used to do VCR repair for a living. If you buy a TV with a VCR built in then you have to lug the whole doggon thing into the shop when a tape gets stuck in the VCR (and it WILL if you ever actually use it eventually get stuck) and same here, when the vcR portion dies or gets gummed up badly enough that you have to take it in somewhere you'll also be without your DVD player.

Latest posts