Big Red?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
IBM has announced that they are selling their PC division to a Chinese company owned and operated by the Chinese government.

This includes 25 years of R & D.

Does anyone think that this is a threat to national security? For one, some U. S. Senators do and are pushing for a full-scale investigation of the sale.

What do you think?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think an investigation is a must do. I don't think there should even be a choice. At the point America is at right now, I don't think it's anywhere close to a good idea for one of the largest computer companies to just go to ANY country without doing a full scale search for anything and everything that could harm the state of the US any further. We're already hurting enough.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The intellectual property contained within IBMs PC division is nothing special. The designs of modern CPU architectures and systems (including memory, caches, busses, etc) is all well known worldwide, and easily obtainable.

No big secrets are being given up. Nothing to see here, move on.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is actually pretty old news, since it was originally announced on Dec 7, 2004. Like evan9162 said, there aren't any secrets or technology being transferred, simply the buying over of the IBM PC brand for use by Lenovo for 5 years. Lenovo is also planning on launching it's own brand in the US after the closure of the deal.

BTW, where do you think IBM PCs are currently being manufactured? Definitely not the US, so, there aren't going to be any implications as to lost of jobs to an overseas company in this case..

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont most of the discarded pc's go to china anyway, including hard drives that could contain confidential info? and arent some of the cpu's and monitors manufactured in china? its not like big blue is selling their mainframes to china.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose you are all right, but I still think this could cause job loss. Are all the programs written in China as well?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
senecaripple said:
dont most of the discarded pc's go to china anyway, including hard drives that could contain confidential info? and arent some of the cpu's and monitors manufactured in china? its not like big blue is selling their mainframes to china.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. The majority of discarded PCs go into landfills (unfortunately). This is why a few companies (like HP) are starting PC recycling programs.