M3 Mod

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Just one more thing I wanted to share.

First, I want to hand out a special thanks to our very own Darell, without whom this may never have happened.

I got a McR38 reflector from Darell that was a manufacturing faux pas. It was a little short. Anyway, I have, for quite some time now, been working on modding an M3. I know that it's been done before, but the methods that I had seen left me a bit worried about getting the heat out. After toying around with the M3's reflector for a bit and building an LED conversion unit for it, I was really disappointed in the output. It wasn't anything special. It didn't even have as much throw as my KL2 mod with the Carley 1.3" reflector, so I put it aside until something came to mind.

Well, I got that reflector from Darell and with some boring of the head and turning a lip onto the reflector, without removing anything from the diameter, the reflector fell right in.

I then fashioned a sink to accommodate an escan and Lux III (TWOK) and made a can of sorts to accommodate the DownBoy917 and a spring to assure a good ground connection.

Well, here are the pics...

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

I was growing impatient with the thing and started to hurry, so it isn't pretty, but it works and it should work in an M3, M4, or M6, although I haven't verified that yet.

This design allows for a good thermal path from the sink to the body and through the escan through the reflector to the head.

It has that typical Aleph III throw and although it doesn't put out as much light as the MN10 or MN11 LAs, it sure does out throw them, and I don't have to worry about keeping a spare LA with me.

Thanks for looking,

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
BEAMSHOTS AND RUNTIMES! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Seriously, though, I figured the M3 head would fit on a M4 or M6, but I've never seen a configuration like that. Does it look funny? Runtime on a M6 must be pretty sweet.