Immortality, Real or Fake ?

QuestionDUDE

Newly Enlightened
hi, i was abit bored and was surfing around, and i found this site. this person invented a ring-styled device that can slow down the ageing process and speed up the healing process by amplifying your magnetic flux.
Anways, do you think its real ?
there's many testimonials on the site, and many pictures explain how it works. the "eternal life" device is a registered US patent device. . .
anyways, here's the site
Eternal Life - The Immortality Rings

check out the pictures and the testimonials.. . they make me think its pretty real.
what do you think ?

QuestionDUDE

Newly Enlightened
haha, that's what i thought in the beginning too, ok so we got 1 "Its fake", anyone think it might be real ?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to answer that indirectly, with a quote from my favorite blog site...

Amazingly, those plastic MPT SmogBuster Fuel Discs don't improve fuel effienciency >
MPT SmogBuster Fuel Discs

Just in case it wasn't clear before, scientists would like to reiterate that those MPT SmogBuster Fuel Discs you're supposed to stick to your gas tank to improve fuel efficiency and reduce pollution don't actually work. We know it's hard to believe that the plastic stickers, which retail for $299 (as in two hundred and ninety-nine dollars), don't actually emit "holographic frequencies into the gas tank and change the molecular structure of the gasoline," but you're going to have to just take this one on faith, ok?

Here's the Link

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW brass knuckles for your feet. Those look so cool.

mut

turbodog

Flashaholic
I love the note about lack of blood flow causing cataracts. Dummy...... no blood flows to the cornea anyway.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
He's a crank. I used to (before I got married) collect literature from people just like him, and some who were a whole lot weirder. (Some of it was hilarious, some of it was profoundly disturbing. The disturbing stuff really BOTHERED my wife, so I got rid of it.) He has the classic markings of a crank:
1. Miraculous development that nobody believes in.
2. He's persecuted by the folks with vested interest in the way things are today (If it was as good as he claimed, they'd pay him off, steal it, or kill him - possibly all 3 and sell it themselves. Whoever "they" are.)
3. Random biblical references thrown in
4. Pictures of Einstein and Nikola Tesla. Nothing against either of these two guys - but cranks LOVE them.

What's he promise if you don't live forever - double your money back? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry, but he reads about a 6-7 on a scale of 10 on my kook meter.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MrBenchmark said:
He's a crank. I used to (before I got married) collect literature from people just like him, and some who were a whole lot weirder. (Some of it was hilarious, some of it was profoundly disturbing. The disturbing stuff really BOTHERED my wife, so I got rid of it.) He has the classic markings of a crank:
1. Miraculous development that nobody believes in.
2. He's persecuted by the folks with vested interest in the way things are today (If it was as good as he claimed, they'd pay him off, steal it, or kill him - possibly all 3 and sell it themselves. Whoever "they" are.)
3. Random biblical references thrown in
4. Pictures of Einstein and Nikola Tesla. Nothing against either of these two guys - but cranks LOVE them.

What's he promise if you don't live forever - double your money back? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry, but he reads about a 6-7 on a scale of 10 on my kook meter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful there.... except for item 3, you're talking about Darell.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Drives me nuts that people actually fall for these things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif My time is much better spent at James Randi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Well, modern science and medicine have done amazing things - but they don't know everything yet. Sometimes getting them to admit that sad fact is hard, so people look for alternatives. Hey, if I had some fatal, inoperable condition, I'd probably try anything myself - why not?

I've observed three kinds of cranks:
1. People who really, desperately want to help and just have very unorthodox ideas. Every now and then one of these guys is right about something, but the odds on that ain't good.
2. People who have real, desperate psychological problems of their own.
3. Predators who know what they are doing is completely bogus, but know that desperate people will try anything, and who take advantage of that. Folks like that are the scum of the earth.

My only real problem is with cranks in category #3. Otherwise I kind of like people with unusual beliefs. I don't share them myself as I'm rather skeptical, but I enjoy hearing about their beliefs sometimes. It's absolutely fascinating to me what people will believe.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
of course it's real--I've got one one right now and I haven't died yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

You should have seen the looks on the TSA agents faces when they made me take them off. Arthritis, gray hair and halatosis hit me all at the same time, and I think I may have lost my teeth somewhere by the metal detector...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It's for real without a doubt. In fact, this was discovered many, many years ago. My real year of birth is 1962 BC, not 1962 AD, so I'm 3966 years old. I'm living proof that this really works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously, while there might be some validity in healthful effects from magnetic fields, I suspect a lot of those testimonials are the so-called placebo effect. The mind has a great influence over health, and you can literally think yourself sick or healthy (within limits of course). If people believe the ring works, they might have some improvement in health, but this has mostly to do with the placebo effect. What leads me to discredit most of that site is the usual coming of the messiah predictions and other religious sounding crap. If the future is already predestined as all these doomsayers seem to say, then what's the point of free will or of even living? I like to think we're a little more than chess pieces.

As for the idea of a world corporation running things, I can't say that would solve our problems any better than existing governments can. In fact, I like the idea of both large nation states and large corporations dissolving much better. The smaller and more local any governance is, the more likely it is to answer directly to the people who are being governed. Or put another way, it's very easy to do nothing or to do evil in a big company since nobody may notice. Try it in a company with a few employees and you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Smaller is better, not bigger.

I also want to add that natural magnets have existed since the Earth was formed, and have been known to man for thousands of years. If there were any health benefits at all to wearing magnets we would have known about it millenia ago and would be routinely be doing so now in much the same way sanitary practices became routine because of their health benefits. Since we don't, I can conclude with near certainty that there aren't any significant health benefits to wearing magnets. The excuse about this invention being discredited because it would put doctors out of business is simply illogical in light of this. Doctors would have ceased to be needed soon after word of magnet power spread some thousands of years ago. While I don't discredit the idea of near immortality, mankind will get there by discovered and reversing the genetic causes of aging, not by wearing magnets.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Immortality?

Death, believe it or not, was called by J.R.R. Tolkien "the gift of men" in his books. The American Indians used to greet the day with a saying: "Today is a good day to die" and the Japanese samurai fortified themselves with the serenity death with the attitude of "be not afraid of death, but seek it not as well".

I think death is not the end of life per se, but its completion and I'd rather finish what I started, right?

This I believe; just as there is much grace in living, there is also much grace in dying.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted against death and taxes, so i'm not worried /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (takes a very strange person to find that as funny a statement as I do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I'm all for life extension and improvement. Real scientists with grants and company money are working on this and making some real headway. if we wanted to spend more money on it I'm sure we could become immortal in a very reasonable time frame, one that might even be soon enough to include everybody here. But we're so programmed to consider it a natural part of our lives that we don't get upset enough by the indignity of the fact that I have to age, get demented and die that we don't spend enough. And don't give me any garbage about overpopulation and such, the world is actually going into an under-population crisis! Don't believe me? Look it up! And I can't think of anything that would jump start other things we really need to do like terraform Mars and move out into space than living forever anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Perhaps it would also give humans some long term perspective that we so sorely lack on most days.

unfortunately, the current administration in Washington is not interested in it. we're so programmed to age and die that they can't give much in the way of public money to this sort of study as lots of folks consider it a fringe science or a waste of money.

We'll I'm not programmed to die thank you very much. i understand you want to go to heaven and all, but we can make this place a much nicer place to be and you can wait to see God until the end of the universe as far as I'm concerned.

But this guy, no, wearing a magnet does not offer immortality. There are some real uses for magnets in the body. For instance it looks now like a strong field at the right frequency may simulate the piezoelectric effect of exercise on the bones and be able to help astronauts or people with brittle bones build up a little bone mass. But just sticking a magnet to yourself won't do anything, good or bad to you in any way. but i think you might have to invest in some funky shoes to be able to wear those out...

S4MadMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Santelmo said:
This I believe; just as there is much grace in living, there is also much grace in dying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Santelmo: excellent post and very eloquent. I'm going to be on a look out for your posts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
I'm all for life extension and improvement. Real scientists with grants and company money are working on this and making some real headway. if we wanted to spend more money on it I'm sure we could become immortal in a very reasonable time frame, one that might even be soon enough to include everybody here. But we're so programmed to consider it a natural part of our lives that we don't get upset enough by the indignity of the fact that I have to age, get demented and die that we don't spend enough. And don't give me any garbage about overpopulation and such, the world is actually going into an under-population crisis!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll second that! I find that the older I get, the more I don't want to die ever. All this "aging gracefully" and "acceptance of death" stuff comes from times when life was very hard and death was seen as a release. There's nothing great about decreptitude and eventual nonexistence (I don't believe that afterlife stuff). Also, if people, especially politicians, lived virtually forever we might see a little more concern for the long-term effects of man's activities on the planet instead of the usual "I'll be dead by the time that happens anyway". I remember watching something on TV which mentioned there was a good possibility of unlocking the secrets of aging within our lifetimes. As for funding, I'm sure there are plenty of rich people who don't want to die who might be interested if initial results looked promising. They've already extended the lifespan of mice by a factor of two I think in the lab. That's certainly a good start. Barring accidents and preventable things like heart disease, the majority of people will naturally live to 100 more often than not with the current state of medical care. Even doubling that is a good start as you might keep most of the people alive long enough for a real cure for aging to be found.

As for overpopulation, you're right-as countries get industrialized they usually end up with negative population growth. Even if that were a problem, I'd gladly get sterilized in return for immortality. I don't have or plan to have kids anyway.