What was the BEST light 2004?

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that this has been asked yet? I don't care if it's a manufactured light or a custom light. But what (in your opinion) was the BEST light produced in 2004.

My opinion: I think that the best was the LionHeart the incredible complexity of the electronics and the art and workmanship that was put into it makes it a clear winner in my books. but hey I have a custom silver bird on the way that may be better after I see get.

I willing to bet that the blackbird or the blackbird2 will fly in here and land as one of the best in 2004.

What do you think?

beam_me_up

Enlightened
It's a toss up between the 10w MiniHID and the Katokichi Itishiki CR2.....I don't own either but they are both wonderful lights that I think should be mentioned for the crown

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jarhead's circuit in my arc LS head
d'mo's arc AAA luxeon mod
Mr X (the X makes it the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)
Li14430 (i think it is the best EDC ever made, though i don't have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )
Any Larry's creation

well, my "best" is not only one, but many /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

davidra

Enlightened
For non-custom lights, it would be hard to have a bigger impact than the QIII.

Wrangler

Enlightened
Best light: LionHeart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
Best value: Q3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Wolfgang
BTW don`t forget the Streamlight 2L LED 3W Lux Task Light.
A nice light with good throw on high and very useful light on low. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best commercial light is the U2.

The best custom light is the LionHeart.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lionheart - best custom light.

L2 - best commercial light.

Thor 10 million candlepower spotlight, $25 at Costco. Most lumens for the money. Makes a great spaceheater too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best commercial light - U2. Hall-effect sealed selector ring, six levels of light (and yes I can find uses for most of them), bezel down clip, awesome reflector, rechargeable lithium ion support.

CPF also introduced two variable power lights that year, the Lionheart and the Pocketmate-W.. you can tell I really like variable power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My own Mag85 arrived 5 days too late to make the cut for 2004 but it's hard to argue with 1200 bulb lumens in a 3D formfactor.

rick258

Enlightened
Best custom -- tie: LionHeart, Pocketmat-W, MiniHID

no one light "can do it all" but with this trio, they can handle just about any lighting needs of a handheld light.

As always, just my opinion.

Rick

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best Custom: still The Sleeper for my vote

Best production: I'd say the Havis-Shields HID just because you get near x990 performance for under $200 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But, my all time favorite light is and will always (probably) be the MAXABEAM !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

cy

Flashaholic
IMHO best light of 2004 is Li14430. which made possible three stage CR2/Li14430 light you see here.

li14430_cr2.jpg

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that whenever threads of this general type come along, lights built by Larry are disproportionately represented considering the very small numbers made. There were a total of eleven of the Li14430 made. BTW, Cy, I have always liked that photo of yours. It and one by CPF member Fitz are my favorites of that light.

cy

Flashaholic
doug you are being too modest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif electronics is what separated Li14430 from the pack. It also helps that three of the best cpf'r collaborated on this "analux"

Li14430 is still state of the art in small lights. Thought something else would surpass it by now.

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO:

2004 Flagship light: Surefire U2

2004 Near-luxury: Surefire L2, L4, L5, Arc-4

2004 great Bangs for the Bucks Lights: Pelican M6 LED, UK 4AA eLED, Nuwai "3-watt"