Tent camping in semi-inclement weather?

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not really sure where to put this thread, so I figure if this isn't right, someone can move it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We made reservations to go camping this weekend. However, our weather has gone downhill. It has been raining/misting and fairly cool, and they are saying highs tomorrow of 55 and mostly cloudy, with Saturday night lows around 43, with a 50% chance of rain, and Sunday it will be 60% chance of rain. We had planned to arrive Saturday, stay Saturday night and leave on Sunday before 2 or so.

I don't really have a problem camping when it is in the 40s and 50s, but I am concerned about rain and general muddiness/crappiness. The way the Texas Parks system works though, is that our fee has already been charged and is non-refundable, so we'd lose our money anyway, so we're planning to go ahead and see how things look when we get there.

Just wondering if anyone has camped in the cool weather & rain and if you had any tips as far as keeping things dry, warm, things to do. etc. Thanks!

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I've camped in the rain plenty of times. Just make sure that your tent is completely rain proof with a rain fly and that all seams are sealed, they should be on fairly new tents. If it gets really bad, I've used those gray/silver tarps to blanket over the tent as another layer of protection(make sure it is secured/stays on). Your tent floor should be waterproof, most tent floors are so you should be OK in that department. Make sure that you don't set up your set where water can puddle, a puddle of water underneath the tent will eventually make its way inside of the tent. Having a waterproof tarp underneath the tent will help too.
Its actually pretty fun camping in the rain if you are ready for it......
Oh and if does rain, you'll want to put the tent up again when you get home (if its not raining), to let it dry, otherwise your tent could get moldy.
Having a pop up canopy would be great to have over the picnic table to keep table and supplies dry.

Have Fun!

chrisse242

Enlightened
Try to find some of those containers:

nautic equipment

We used them when I was an active rower. We used to make trips for several days and always kept some of our clothes in those containers. They where kept dry while in the boat but also in our tents in rainy weather.
And after all, dealing with the elements is what tent camping is all about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chrisse

cy

Flashaholic
last weekend we went camping with boy scouts in 7 degree weather. I made sure all the boys had double sleeping bags and a good non-compression foam pad or thermarest pad.

only tents that are truly watertight are NEW high end tents that come seam taped. even those will quickly develop leaks without seam sealer maintenace.

Assume your tent is going to leak. secret to staying dry is to place a waterproof barrier on the inside of the tent with sides up at least 6inches. This makes a "bathtub" on the inside of the tent.

I custom cut 6mil plastic (viscreen) slightly larger than tent footprint to make a tub on the inside for all our boy scout tents.

invest $8 for a good non-compression foam pad to sleep on. Thermarest are inflatible foam pads and the best. but those are $45-$85 depending upon size.

you could always bring a cot. to stay out of the wet floor.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny your posts describes the exact camping conditions I went thru a couple of years ago, the only difference being it was Memorial day weekend!

Unless you're willing to trek around outside and put up with the conditions, the rain makes it really boring. You'll soon get tent fever.

[ QUOTE ]
flashlight_widow said:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We made reservations to go camping this weekend. However, our weather has gone downhill. It has been raining/misting and fairly cool, and they are saying highs tomorrow of 55 and mostly cloudy, with Saturday night lows around 43, with a 50% chance of rain, and Sunday it will be 60% chance of rain.

[/ QUOTE ]

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a eureka from cosco, like 10years old. Woke up in the pouring rain and my tent is in a puddle, but still dry. Packing the tent up in the rain was a b---.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Get one of those cheap Astro-Turf door mats to put outside the door of the tent to help keep the mud and dirt outside!

greenLED

Flashaholic
what darkcobra and cy said. I usually bring a large tarp (or two). You can put it over your tent, or if you bring two you can set one up as "communal space".

Bored? Have a contest to see who can light a fire first...using damp/wet wood.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds silly, but just accept that if it rains, and you are active, you will get wet and your stuff will get wet. No matter how good your gear is, water will run down your face and get through the cuff of your sleeve and eventually soak your clothes. When going in and out of your tent, and changing out of wet clothes, stuff inside your tent will get wet. Once I realize that I WILL get soggy (only a matter of time), it makes the situation a little more bearable.

Take clothes that keep you warm despite the dampness. Wool and fleece are good materials. Cotton is a no-no. It likes moisture, takes forever to dry and will sap all of the heat from your body.

Have an outer layer of clothing that blocks the wind. Wind + wet = hypothermia.

Camping in the rain is not too bad. Just plan accordingly and try to make the most of the situation.

Aloha

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Flashlight Widow,

The secret to inclimate weather camping is a big pot of Texas Chili!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
semi-inclement weather? Geeze, you guys down south have a different idea of inclement than I do - heck - your not camping in 3 solid days of pouring rain (I did one trip were we got 4+ inches over 2 days - we got wet)

All the advise given is fine. I'll add one more thing - ziplock bags are your friend. Store EVERYTHING in them. If you have one of the heat seal machines, they make great sealers for stuff that you are going to open and USE - but remember, you'll need a ziplock to store the stuff once it's open

One BIG question - are you "car camping" or backpacking? Car camping is easy in the rain - you always have someplace to store stuff to keep it dry. Backpacking is a bit more "fun" in the rain. Heck, I always figured where I used to camp that around 7-9pm EVERY night we would get a thunderstorm (in the summer) or drizzle and 50 deg for at least 1/2 the weekend in the spring and fall. Winter would be cold

BTW watch out for hypothermia - one of the worst cases I ever saw it was 45 degs and drizzling - the kid got wet, and just could NOT warm up. I was one of the people assigned to lead him out to shelter. After his Dad picked him up, I hiked back in with 2 other guys (back in my scout days).

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
cy's recommendation about a plastic tarp inside the tent is a good one.

If you use a piece of plastic under your tent, be sure it is tucked under the tent. If it sticks out from under the tent it will catch water that will puddle under the tent.

A rain fly/tarp will give you a place to cook and gather outside.

Rain suits and water proof boots (GoreTex etc) are nice too. Ponchos are better than nothing, but that's about it.

With the right gear you can enjoy camping even in inclement weather.

I use sleeping pads no matter what the weather.

D-LIGHT

Newly Enlightened
All good advice. In addition, take some kind of trenching tool (shovel). You can dig shallow trenches to guide the water away from the tent and keep it from sitting in several inches. I've been on many camping trips with my kids, but the ones we still talk about are the wet and cold ones. Just go and have fun.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need the following to be comfortable:
- all your clothing should be synthetic
- your sleeping bags' fill should be synthetic and rated for the temps you are expecting and a proper ground pad of course.
- your other gear is in good shape (waterproof tent, etc.)
- you need a good rain coat and rain pants.
- you need a good attitude, such as "I don't mind being a little wet and the outdoors is actually beautiful in it's own way during bad weather"

If any of that is missing, you will be miserable, but you can always sleep in the car with the heat on or go to a motel or home if it gets too bad.

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice, guys! They have taken rain completely out of the forecast for tomorrow although it is only supposed to be 58 for the high. 30% chance of rain Saturday night, low around 43. 50% chance of rain on Sunday but we'd be on our way home anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm totally down with the cool weather, was just concerned about the rain, having never camped out in it before. We will have our Tahoe there so if necessary we can always bed down in it!

Our tent is only about a year old and in great shape. We have a rain fly and 2 heavy duty military tarps to use both underneath it and on top if necessary. Almost all of our other equipment - sleeping bags, pads, etc., is fairly new as well. We have sleep pads, camp stove, lantern - all the standard equipment already. I'm taking good layering clothing - rain poncho with hood, polarmax shirts with long knickers, etc. I will definitely remember to bring a wool shirt!

I'm also taking along a deck of cards in case we get stuck in the tent. I'm sure we can find *something* to do in there if the weather is too foul. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Lurker - LOL! Nope, no headlamp! Maybe will have to make a trip to the store this evening. Hmm...

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
D-LIGHT said:
All good advice. In addition, take some kind of trenching tool (shovel). You can dig shallow trenches to guide the water away from the tent and keep it from sitting in several inches. I've been on many camping trips with my kids, but the ones we still talk about are the wet and cold ones. Just go and have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was taught to dig a tremch around a tent when I was a kid in Boy Scouts, but that was a long time ago. Today diging a trench is viewed in the about same light as cutting down trees. Depending on where you camp, this may or may not be allowed. It is no longer recommended because there is so much pressure on camp sites today. Imagine what campsites would look like if everyone did this.

I tend to think more along the lines of "leave no trace" camping these days.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
Great! No rain!
I'm with D-LIGHT though, some of the most unforgettable memories of camping was during foul or bad weather.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif