Mini 2Xaaa mag mod

knifebright

Enlightened
Hey all
for a while i've really wanted a luxeon mini 2xaaa mag, as i'm sure a lot of us do. Tonight i finished up one. To start off i used one of the lambda/arcmania,micro converters. On it sits a twoj lux3. I bored the body out similiar to the solitare mod only the dimentions were a bit different. Next i ground down a 17mm mineral glass ucl to fit the bezel. That problem taken care next up was the optic/reflector situation. I have a whole graveyard of parts and pieces of ims17mm reflectors from attempts to get one in my fire-fly 1. I ground one down to fit the mag. Put it all together and i had the battery spacer to deal with. For some reason i really wanted to go without a spacer in this one. So i streched out the spring and added a hugemungo solder blob to the converter. THe result is a nice twist on/twist off mini 2xaaa mag. THe beam pattern is that all too familiar star pattern of a high dome in a reflector thats a little too small. I may try to get a fran in there but i have a real aversion to optics. ANy way I've now got a 2xaaa blue mini mag with a lux3, ucl and reflector. its about the same brightness as my madmax+ mini mag2xaa.
thanks for looking
i have no pictures but i'll bring it to the bay area get together.... that and my lux5 drop in
jimmy

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kewl
flashed.gif
I look forward to checking it out.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey jimmy.. i just made a mod with IMS17 reflectors that i cut the top 4mm off or so to increase the flood and reduce the spot.. they are perfect flood.. no oddities whatsoever, so i'm wondering about your 'star pattern' situation... you sure the reflector is in the right place ?

I liked the idea of doing an AAAx2 mod because runtime is a bit short on the likes of the nano... of course i'd be using a couple LiON batts.. i could run it at 3W than /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-awr

knifebright

Enlightened
Ya i'm sure the reflector i've got going is a little fishy.. i did pull it out of the grave pile after all. Tommorro i'm going to go at it again, there is a lot of material that can me removed from the minimag head... translating to more material that can be left on the reflector. Actually the mini pill i originally made it for my tnc-n-cell but with the lux3 on an n cell the run time was ridiculous. I built another one tonight and it got a QWOH, much better on the run time with only a few photons sacrificed. I"m going to get back on the reflector after the dremmel charges back up. Worse thing i ever did was buy the li-ion dremmel over one that plugs in. Or perhaps i could just buy a second battery.
jimmy

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a great mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Hope you can add some pictures later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

reefphilic

Enlightened
I have pictures, I have pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Imgp1897.jpg

Imgp1878.jpg

Imgp1882.jpg

This is the mag 2AAA mod that I've finally completed recently. The one on the pictures use a cut down stock reflector and has a nice focusable flood beam. I've also cut down a SO17XA for it and the beam is similar to a SO17XA except that it has a wider flood. The body is shortened to 1XAA length and rethreaded to fix the clicky tailcap.

It was driven by the MJ microconveter with a custom built heatsink to raise the height of the luxeon to match the cut down reflectors.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif Nice mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif I suppose you mean cut down to 1AAA (not 1AA)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
Did you say clicky tailcap? Were did you find a clicky for the Mag 2AAA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet. I want one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Where do we signup?
Or do I have to reopen the Cutdown GB for 1AAA.

reefphilic

Enlightened
Yah, I mean it is cut down to 1XAAA length. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I've searched the whole country(well, not the whole country but almost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) for AAA sized lights with clicky switch until I find this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It is not a perfect fit. The diameter of the clicky switch is actually 0.5mm bigger then the AAA minimag body.

Modamag:

Maybe you can start a group buy for cut down 1XAAA body?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It is not easy to do because of the wall thickness ( or should I say thinness? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) My machinist damaged a couple of 2XAAA minimag body before getting two right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it still possible to turn the head to switch your 1AAA MiniMag on/off or do you really need the tail switch to achieve this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

reefphilic

Enlightened
Because of the aluminium heatsink, only the tailcap can be used to turn on/off. If I use a pcb to mount the luxeon so as to retain the twist on/off function, the LED will not align properly with the cut down reflector and the reflector won't be "deep" enough to turn on/off anyway.