• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired THOR HID adapter ring

theepdinker

Enlightened
If you're interested in converting a Thor to HID one of these adapters makes the job a whole lot easier.

Info about them can be found in this link.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=827111&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Each ring is $8.50 mailed USPS. USA only at the moment.
Paypal(cash) address is in my profile.
Money order or check & I accept Visa/MC directly.

Guess the name I've given my HID Thor for a free adapter ring. Won by lotsalumens.

Theepdinker

Editted title

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: THOR to HID adapter ring

I like it, I like it alot. I was reading the other thread. Other than this adapter ring whatelse will I have to buy to accomplish the conversion?

Any clue as to how much brighter this will make it?

Doug

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, you'll need the HID hardware, the bulb and ballast/ignighter. I dont know much more about them then that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I Would like to have an HID light one day myself.

Shane

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

PayPal on the way.

Thanks for making these available!

Kevin

lotsalumens

Enlightened

Just sent my paypal as well. Thanks very much for doing this. It is really appreciated!!

theepdinker

Enlightened

lamda & lotsalumens, Paypal received.

diddug13,
Brightness more or less will depend on your bulb/ballast combination. At the least you get a better beam and longer run time per battery charge. The battery will probably give a longer service life since it works from 1/2 to 1/3 as hard.

Hallis,
You're right. Hid bulb,ballast,igniter & wire harness, usually sold together. Some random nuts, bolts & maybe silicone or epoxy.

This really is an easy mod IMO.

Theepdinker

fleshlite

Banned

Theepdinker,
Can we use the car type HID lamps and ballast for this mod??
Can you suggest a link for an easy mod. How about a link for pics of the mod to make it easier for us.

tks
Chris

theepdinker

Enlightened

Chris,
I used a system from an imported passenger car.

First Person to guess what I call my Hid Thor gets a free adaptor ring.

I'll see what I can do about instructions & pics.

Theepdinker

theepdinker

Enlightened

MenaceSQL,
Paypal received.

All rings ordered so far will be shipped by 2-7-05.
Sooner if possible.

Theepdinker

twentysixtwo

Enlightened

THOR 35W Auto HID mod = 33% more light @ 2.5 X run time (~2:15). Also sharper focus IMO.

Stock THOR = ~2400 lumens/100W (bulb rated 2900L @ 13.2 volts, THOR @ 12 volts). 35W D1S or D2S = 3200 lumens / ~40W (note ballast efficiency)

More detail in thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=845281&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all)

ANY automotive 35 watt system will work. With patience it's easy to Fleabay bulb and ballast for <$150. A complete PAIR went recently for $185+shipping so it might be easier to snag a pair then B/S/T the spare. Or do two /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Or check local salvage yards.

Caveats:

1) Try to get a DxS (D1S or D2S), not a DxR. the "R" type have ceramic paint to reduce glare but this also reduces output. It's not a big deal to scrape this paint off but you have to be very careful not to damage the capsule.

2) Watch the size of the ballast - not all will fit inside the THOR. D1X (D1S/D1R) type systems have an igniter as part of the bulb making for a smaller ballast. Both the Philips and Osram D1X type ballasts I tried fit. Many D2x Type systems (Kenrad, Matsushita) should also work as the igniter is separate from the ballast breaking the electronics into two packages. One notable exception is the Hella Gen4 system which integrates the ignitor in the bulb socket. You end up with what looks like a big D1X type bulb which is a real challenge. (the non-Gen4 Hella has a small socket.) I have also confirmed that the The Koito/Denso D2X type ballasts used by most Toyota / Lexus will not fit inside.

I highly recommend this ring if you'e going to put a HID in your THOR - the only other alternatives are 1) Casper's electronics $25 adapter, which you still have to chop up and shim with O-Rings 2) Lots and lots of RTV or putty.

What's in my THOR? An Osram D1S system. Had to snip away some of the plastic on the bracket behind the reflector and re-route the battery wires to the side, but it wedges in perfectly. From the outside the only tip off is the different looking bulb and the "High Voltage" ISO label I stuck on top.

Theepdinker - I'm trying to come up with a nickname for my THOR also, so here are my potential names (and guesses for your THOR's name as well)

1) "Tiny"
2) "Peewee"
3) "Sunburn"
4) "Bubba"

or, in light of the recent news, "Jocko"

theepdinker

Enlightened

Jocko the jerko. Not on my life.
Sunburn's a good one. Works but not right.

Theepdinker

theepdinker

Enlightened

Bump up for the free ring offer.

Guess the name I've given my HID Thor for a free adapter ring.

First clue.
"I used a system from an imported passenger car"

Theepdinker

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Thor,,

1) Type-R /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
2) Eclipse
3) NSX

Couldnt be a Skyline since those arent legal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shane

twentysixtwo

Enlightened

Hallis - Thor "Type-R" is a cool name!!!! Maybe I'll call mine that instead of "Peewee"

In case anyone's interested, the Osram Ballast and bulb I used are on the Chrysler 300M. A pair just went this morning for $165 + shipping

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now thats good to know, how many watts 35 or was that just a comparison?

Shane