Eternal Light coming on by itself

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I previously posted something about this in the general flashlight forum. I should have posted it here. Sorry.

I recently got an Eternal Light EliteMax. While the light was sitting on my desk next to my computer and cordless phone (computer was on and phone was in cradle) the Eternal Light came on all by itself. It was real obvious when it came on because it was pointed right at me. When it came on it, fortunately it came on in timer mode. If I had previously disabled the time mode, and wasn't there, it would have run itself down without me ever knowing what happened.

I checked with the manufacturer and they advised that earlier models were reported to sometimes self turn on when next to a cell phone, but hadn't received reports of the elte models doing this. I guarantee you that mine did.

This issue puts a real dampener on my plans to use this light as a survival light. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Good question. Haven't tried. Just knowing that cell phones have turned earlier models has answered the question to my satisfaction.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
my elite xray also turn on by itself whenever a phone call come in and the phone is situated near it. i guess it is normal.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
Yukon_Jack said:
I previously posted something about this in the general flashlight forum. I should have posted it here. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Vcal said:
Reboot the light.

Take the batteries out and press the power button for 15sec.

later, put the batteries back in and then try your experiment again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Many thanks shiftd for the info. Puts my mind at ease that I'm not going crazy. I guess I'll just have to remember to "never" disable the timer mode - but I sure dislike that constant blinking? I know, you can turn if off with a push of one button, but I hate it coming on in dim mode at all. Tks.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
To me, this is a good sign. It means that the IC (integrated circuit) in the light is extremely efficient, not wasting a lot of power to control the light. A minor(?) side effect is that it is somewhat sensitive to ambient electromagnetic interference. All-in-all, I think it's an extremely good compromise. This is one of only a few observations I've read here about this problem(?). The comments are focused primarily on why, not on how much the problem might be affecting their lights' runtimes.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I consider a light professed to be the ultimate survival light, that has a function to disable its timer mode and can turn itself on and run the batteries down, to be a bad thing.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
There were no cell phones even close to my EliteMax when it turned on. It was about a foot from my running laptop, about 2 foot from a BC900 AA charger on trickle mode, and a couple feet from a cordless phone station that was plugged in but not being used.

*Folks* I know the Eternal Light is owned and loved by many CPF members. I liked mine also. I particulary like the ability to dial in the dimming and having a stobe/SOS availabe in the same flashlight. Being waterproof and ability to use lithiums makes it real close to my perfect survial light.

I knew I was taking a chance of being flamed/doubted when I brought up the self turning on. Fortunately, you folks have been pretty open on the issue, which is appreciated. My decision is to send the unit back to Technology Associates and ask for them to check the unit out or replace it. It seems probable that some lights are more sensitive to this happening than others. My guess is that I had a rare event with just the right circumstances that may or may not be repeatable. For instance, my cordless phone rotates channels and I have no idea what channel it was on. Could the BC900 battery charger be putting out some sort of interference in one of this function? Just too many variables to come to any conclusions. Heck, Art Bell may have a super natural (ghost) explaination /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Re: Eternal Light coming on by itself =UPDATE

Decided to try and simulate exact conditions again. Trotted upstairs in my stocking feet, reached for the Eternal light and the moment my finger touched the side of the case the light came on just like you pressed the on button. Again, all four LED came on and it was in timer mode (blinking blue light).

Thinking about it, everytime I go upstairs in my socks, I get a shock when I turn on the light switch. This time I did not hit the light switch because I was carrying a SL Jr. I have no idea how I could have transmitted an electrical charge through to the light to make it turn on, but turn on itself it did. I will definitely be sending this unit back.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Yukon_Jack said:
There were no cell phones even close to my EliteMax when it turned on. It was about a foot from my running laptop, about 2 foot from a BC900 AA charger on trickle mode, and a couple feet from a cordless phone station that was plugged in but not being used.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yukon_Jack said:
Decided to try and simulate exact conditions again. Trotted upstairs in my stocking feet, reached for the Eternal light and the moment my finger touched the side of the case the light came on just like you pressed the on button. Again, all four LED came on and it was in timer mode (blinking blue light).

[/ QUOTE ]

I thank you for your report.

A light that turns on by itself - is not such a good thing for any flashlight, much less one that's supposed to be suitable for a survival light.

Is it just the eternaLight EliteMax that's prone to this?

Or does it also happen to other eternaLights?

Can someone please be kind enough to post the links to other reports of these self switch ons? Thanks.

I think you're right to return the light to ask for either a repair or replacement so these unintended turning ons do not happen.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

It does seem to have problems beyond a cell phone, but I'm still lost as to how the fact that they can turn on if near a cell phone makes it a bad survival light? I mean, if you have a workable cell phone, do you need a survival light?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Yukon Jack,

Static electricity can raise havoc will all kinds of circuits. I also think it can be present during "survival" situations. It is a good thing you are discovering this now.

I wonder how other lights with electronics would hold up to the "Yukon Jack Static Test?" Time to check things out.

It will also be interesting to see how the replacement light fairs out. Is anyone else up to testing their lights, or should we send them all to Yukon Jack?

Tom

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened

I've been corresponding with the manufacturer. They have been very helpful and prompt. I will be sending the unit back for repair or replacement. They surmize I may have a very unusual unit a little more sensitive to EMI and/or my environment is putting out unusual EMI. Regardless, I will be keeping the repaired/replaced light as it is a nifty light and I suspect all CPFer's "must" have at least one:) Also, its good to know that both times the light came on it was in "timer mode" which means it would eventually shut itself off. Looking at the bright side of this experience, I think it is safe to say that anyone who plans on using this light for a serious emergency/survival light should never disable the timer mode. I know I won't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Take care folks and I think we can close this thread before I bore eveyone to death. Thanks for listening.

Latest posts