Gerber Infinity Ultra...

Steve C

Enlightened
Well, not sure what I was expecting, but this light is quite a disappointment. Oh, it is nicely executed and works just fine; the twisty tail cap is no problem.

But my ARC AAA is just as bright. So you get the same light output in a package three times the size and weight. More run time, I imagine... but this one will be another for #2 grandson to play with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the main draw is that its only $15-20, really hard to break, uses one AA, and runs forever on it. You can find one AA pretty much anywhere in the world.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one for the long runtime and it's still small enough to carry in a pocket or clip to a hat. I like it.

JohnM

Newly Enlightened
I agree with everything that has been said about the Ultra, both good and bad (not too bright, but solid and long running). The only things I would add is that the beam on mine has a nice smooth pattern but is blue in the center, more so than I'd like. Is this typical of the Ultra and other LEDs of this kind?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultra's not really meant to be bright, though. I personally feel as though it's a tie with the Arc; same brightness, and you trade size for runtime.

JohnM, a tinge of blue is normal. Most LEDs in that sort of setup have a little bit of color to the beam. I've got one that is almost pure white, and it's my go-to light for times that I need that sort of light.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one with a red LED. Its nice for sneaking around the Powernoodle Compound at night. Also have one with a white LED and a lithium AA in my Maxpedition Fatboy just for giggles. They won't blind anyone, but they aren't costy, have decent output, and run a long time.

best regards

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Infinity. I would like the ARC also but I can buy about 4 Gerbers for the cost of the ARC. Peak LED makes some small ones also but they are not as cheap the the Gerber.

Actually I went crazy and bought a Solitaire and put a Micro Pill in it. This isn't exactly cheap but I had to do the work myself so that makes it an adventure and I can take more pride in it. A single AAA with a Luxeon is pretty neat. Actually Nuwai makes one but it is much more than the Gerber.

formicae

Newly Enlightened
I EDC an Ultra-G and have a silver Ultra that I keep on the bedstand, love them both. I've got a lithium AA in the Ultra-G, mostly because it's often -30C up here, but the bonus is that the Infinitys are awfully lightweight when you've got lithium batteries in them. I don't notice it's in my pocket until I need it.

junior

Enlightened
I too saw a new version of the Gerber Infinity Ultra at a local REI and felt that it was over built for a 1AA single 5mm light. I think i am going to go with the sonic. They were all out of sonics at REI. I think the sonic is very slim and easier to carry for edc or a PSK kit. I could easily carry an extra AAA if need be.

vhyper007

Enlightened
hi. am waiting for 2 ultras to come in and from all I read they cant be beaten for the money. Also to cover battery burnout I would carry an extra AA in my pocket. Mae West would wonder if that was a battery in my pocket or if I was just happy to see her. LMAO
the vhyper has struck again.

Steve C

Enlightened
Its a quality product, but I was thinking it would be brighter; along the lines of a MiniMag with a NewBeam.

To me, it is far too dim to use outside, especially if there is any ambient light present. I leave for work at 0515; this morning, I used it to look for something I dropped in the back of my car. I also looked around outside the car on the driveway, and I might as well have had a match instaed of a flashlight, due to the ambient light spill from a streetlight about 50 yards away. In the confines of the car, it did very well. This light would be quite useful as a writing or map-reading aid in a vehicle, especially as you could clip it to something stationary. It is a good light to use indoors for close-up stuff.

I've got it, so I'll keep it. But I now wish I had applied that $18 toward another G2. My fault for not checking out the available information on this light more thoroughly... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Raven

Enlightened
I agree. the IU is more of a house light. I never bother using it outside for the exact reasons you mentioned. I still think it's a fantastic light for indoor use, though.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Solstice,

You are much wiser than 36 posts!

I have a buddy who is scheduled to leave for Afghanistan shortly and he's currently undergoing training at Ft. Benning.

I gave him the CC Ultra G and the Rangers training him have asked where he got it because for his assignment it is perfect. He will be in the middle of nowhere and anything else would be too much. It's perfect for map reading and in true dark conditions. He has called 3 times with profound thanks because it works so well.

I wish CC had more.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL- I was a long time Lurker.
As an aside: I was camping over the summer with some friends that had never camped before. A newly formed couple was going to wonder off around dusk. I handed the girl my IU and said "take this" (of course I had like 5 other lights in my bag- car camping) so she put it around her neck, not thinking much of it. When they got back long after dark, she told me that the light totally saved her a** (her words). She's leaving to go live in Austin, TX tomorrow so last night I gave it to her as a going away present- she was thrilled. (Of course, I still have an Ultra-G and a NIB CMG) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Solstice said:
LOL- I was a long time Lurker.
As an aside: I was camping over the summer with some friends that had never camped before. A newly formed couple was going to wonder off around dusk. I handed the girl my IU and said "take this" (of course I had like 5 other lights in my bag- car camping) so she put it around her neck, not thinking much of it. When they got back long after dark, she told me that the light totally saved her a** (her words). She's leaving to go live in Austin, TX tomorrow so last night I gave it to her as a going away present- she was thrilled. (Of course, I still have an Ultra-G and a NIB CMG) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, a nicely-driven 5mm led is plenty for walking dark trails. do it all the time here in Michigan.

Bob

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my best Ultra-G for my "Spotting" light during WSAR exercises. It'd borderline too bright, but it's running on AAs and it does what I need it to do, so I only use it when I must and leave general tasks to my PT Matrix I. .

junior

Enlightened
I have used an Inova pocket light to navigate out of the mountains in the dark once.

I just feel the Infinity is too big for just a single 5mm LED.

Latest posts