Power for a Tri Lux III 20mm

daBear

Enlightened
Of all the recent post about mods using a 2D or 3C Mag as a host for building a Tri Lux 17mm or 20mm, I have not seen anyone talking about using a battery adapter.

I want to use an unregulated 2D to 8AA adapter which will provide 9.6v on NiMH and 12v on Alkalies. I need some advise to chose between (1) DD with resistors for each LED or (2) the correct current regulator to use such as a Downboy 1000mA. Thanks

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm
assuming each luxes has the same Vf and they are connected in series, i think you can get away with DD, even without resistance.

if you are connecting them in paralel, then a regulator for each lux is the way to go.

daBear

Enlightened
I want series connection. Depending on height issues with the D Mag head I want to use LXHL-LW3C stars. Electrolumens has a nice one with TXOJ bin. But I may have to use bare emitters stuck to the sink with Artic Epoxy.

I other than current regulation via 3 regulators, what is the advantage of parallel wiring?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
daBear look at my post about the head sizes and stuff if you haven't. From what I concluded putting them in the head of a D mag is only possible with a 1/8" thick HS when using 20mm reflectors. Or you can use emitters and put them on a HS in the body, raise the head some, and use set screws to keep the head from turning.

Parallel/series has no advantages per se, but you use one or the other based on what your powersource (mainly voltage) is configured.

If you use parallel, then you go with ~3.6-4.0volts to drive it, and it pulls 3 amps.

If you go with ~11 volts power, then do series, and it pulls 1 amp.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
MOD016machinedMagDheadCPF.jpg

It is possible to put LuxIII stars and IMS20 reflectors in the MagD head using a thick heatsink but... the head has to be machined to make it deeper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daBear

Enlightened
Thanks to you both for the info. I have about decided to use a 3C Mag host instead of the 2D. I'll use the 2D for another project. The 8-AA NiMH which I wanted to use in the D cell host produce 9.6v are all but out for J,K, and L Vf bins in series because I don't think that voltage will light an array of 3 Lux3's. However, if a current regulator like the fatman is used, series will be okay. I think, I'm just a novice at this.

Anyway, life will be easier to just use a 3C Mag host as has been done several times recently with terrific results.