Boy Scout Flashlight Competition #2

The_Seeker

Newly Enlightened
The Seeker Returns-

Hello all once again. My most sincere regret of my absence from CPF, for I have missed many marvelous things that were discussed, and my even further regret that this shall probably be the only posting I will do for a while.

My original first post- titled "Boy Scout Flashlight Competition," dealt with an outing that I went on in which I invited several of my friends to a flashlight competition of farthest throw and widest spread. Prizes were distributed, but the triumphant champion wielded a 2 C Maglite with a KPR 112 bulb and three 123A batteries in a special carrier. The flashlight was dubbed, "The Modifier."

While the Modifier laid quietly for many ages, a new flashlight was forged- a 3 D Maglite with: a WA01185 bulb, a Five mega reflector, a Borofloat Lens, 3 to D Adaptors, and 9 AA Nymph rechargeable batteries. In the Common Speech it was named the Mag 85, but the adults who witnessed its indescribable power called it a synonym for the phrase "Sacred Human Excrement." But the light had been given a much more suitable name by its onlookers: Excalightbur. Never in the 15 years of my life had I seen such a majestic light or such an enthusiastic response.

Quickly defeating the opposition, the Mag 85 made its appearance in a strange effect. While the other competitors held their lights pointing to the 10 o'clock darkness in the distance, the Mag 85 was turned on and blended all the other lights together in a great circle of light. When the other lights retreated, however, the Mag 85 shone in all its glory by illuminating the forest and campsite not only in the immediate area but in the farthest depths of the woods as well.

But the purpose of this post is not to testify to the capabilities of the Mag 85, no matter how great it is, for many have already much more knowledge and experience with this flashlight than I. Instead, this post is meant to pay tribute to the creative situations that one can invent when you are dealing with flashlights.

If you refer to my first post, you will see the location and specifics of the competition, which are the same: it occurred at Boy Scout Camp Baiting Hollow in Wildwood, put our campsite was at a different location: the same hill base that we had shone our flashlights at nearly a year and a half before became our new campsite (and this time we had a lodge)!

So, in this case, the job was to shine our lights up the hill and test for throw and spread. In the meantime, we made a game of it, laughing and asking trivia questions. But the Scouts had not forgotten the original competition, and had thusly reorganized their equipment to include 2 D Maglites and an array of multicolored Minimags. In total, about seven participants were included, and the list of lights follow:

Grey Minimag
Rayovac shake-up work light
Black Minimag
Silver 2 D Maglite
Diamondback Aurora Headlamp (2 settings)
Black 3 D Maglite
Cheap incandescent

The first place for spread was given to the Aurora headlamp in its LED setting, and first place for throw was awarded to the holder of the Black 3 D Maglite. But Excalightbur was not alone: also in my possession for the duration of the trip was a Surefire G2 (given to me on occasion of my first post by Flashlights4Less), a Surefire E2e, a Princeton Tec Attitude, and my everyday carry, an Arc LED. The E2e was an impressive sight to them, as they had never seen a flashlight so small with such output and the clean, perfect beam. The demonstration of all these flashlights was followed by an extensive comprehensive explanation of the definition of a "flashaholic." For a follow-up, I gave an interactive lesson to the boys, some of whom were older than me, about the different types of new flashlights that are all the craze these days, how modifications worked, and how somewhere in secret there existed a small group of flashlight revolutionaries called "flashaholics," with a dominion website of their own.

By the way, our troop, Troop 229 of Selden, New York, of which I am their Senior Patrol Leader, won first place in the troop activity competition and the Scout Spirit Award, something which we had not won for four years!

And below is a quote from my original posting that pretty much summarizes everything this post is meant to say;

"Also, Boy Scouts and anyone out there that deals with kids on outings like these: a very enjoyable and educational activity that will keep everyone talking about the competition and their own flashlights for hours afterwards. Just suggest it in your troop and give it a try! It might be something new for everyone."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/blackbear11784/S5300005.jpg

It's good to be back!

Simply, A Seeker

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back again, Seeker. Yet another great write up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Always enjoyable reading your extensive reports, and thank you very much again. Please do keep on posting here on CPF, hope to see you around more!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Seeker,

It's good to hear from you again! It seems you've been busy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DaGeek

Enlightened
Nice Seeker! what you just described is the Flashlight geeks Heaven!!

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
"called it a synonym for the phrase "Sacred Human Excrement." "

---thas hilarious