Runtime test - E1E + KL4 + R123

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tested the runtime on the E1e + KL4 (TW4 combo) with a R123 from batterystation.

Runtime to 50% = 27 minutes (It started its decline around the 18 minute mark)

Runtime to rapid flickering = 40 minutes (about 5-10 lumens at this point)

Runtime to shutdown = After 53 minutes (at about 2-3 lumens) It seemed it was going to stay at this level for a while so I got bored and ended the test. You could easily use it at this level (even with the rapid flickering) to walk in a dark room and get some fresh batteries. At this point I put the R123 in my Q-III and it fired right up. Still plenty of juice to run a Lux III.

Hope this info was helpful!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AW

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure you were using a R123? It sounds like you were running a regular CR123.

LightHearted

Enlightened
Glad to hear that the KL4 will run on one R123. That's good news. Someday I will probably splurge and spring for one of these setups. I thought the KL4 was regulated. When you said it started to decline around 18 mins, does that mean it fell out of regulation at that point? I guess about 20 min of guilt free LuxV output from one R123 isn't too shabby.

Do you know of any beamshots of the KL4 online? I'd love to see its output.

Thanks,
Ken

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AW said:
Are you sure you were using a R123? It sounds like you were running a regular CR123.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used a batterystation R123 (4.2V). A regular CR123a wont even start a KL4 in regulation because of the lower voltage (3.25V SF CR123a). A fresh CR123a begins powering the KL4 at about 60% output.

The ONLY way to run the E1e + KL4 is with a high voltage rechargeable. I just checked it output with an E2E loaded with surefires. Just as bright! Seeing is believing!

I know...I know, its impressive runtime for this setup and RECHARGEABLE to boot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is the coolest EDC I've ever seen in a package this small!

wquiles

Flashaholic
I must be lucky since my particular KL4 head will start on a regular CR123, at least on my 1xcell Vital Gear body. I have not done any runtime tests on this combo with a normal cell, but I would expect not to stay "on" very long as it should fall out of regulation fairly quickly do the low starting voltage (compared to a 4.2v cell).

I got on Friday my BatteryStation rechargables and of course these being 4.18-4.19V, my 1xcell/KT4 (EDC) works really well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

cy

Flashaholic
luxeon lotto decides how well your KL4 runs on 1x 123. whereas it's reasonable to believe they all will run excellent on 1x R123.

I've got 3 KL4 heads here and they all run great on 1x R123.

bs kl4.JPG