KL1 vs. KL4

code09

Enlightened
everyone on CPF seem to like the e1e/KL1 combo.
But when i check the surefire website, the KL1 only produces 15 lumens of light, where as teh KL4 can produce up to 65 lumens.
So i guess my question is, how come no one uses the KL4/e2 combo? Is there something im missing?

Thanks

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use an L4 all the time (l4 is a kl4 head on a e2e body)
it rides in a pouch with me whenever im not at work
quite a few people were using this combo with a mce2s 2 stage switch a few months back (its been a while since i was here)

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, but I think most use the KL1 on an e1e body to give a little bit more runtime. Sure, the KL4 would be brighter, but you wouldn't have light for nearly as long.

I've put my KL4 on my e1e body, works just fine. .

code09

Enlightened
Does the KL1 on e2e have any effect on the brightness? like will 2 cells make it brighter compared to one cell? or will it just be a longer run time?

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL1 is much brighter than 15 lumens; don't have a light meter, but it is much brighter than a QIII; because it is a "lensed light", beam is at close distance, rectangular and "focused". Because of the lensing IMO, it is as bright as my Aleph 2 (1x123) and nearly as Aleph 1 (1x123). AT about 20' the beam looks more circular. There are threads telating to this, sorry, can't recall and I don't seem to handle "search", too well!

code09

Enlightened
Thanks for the info jeffb
I just bought a KL1 today, and im excited for it to arrive!

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
KL1 (new gen) is more of a 'throw light' it is very bright and throws far. However, there is definitely a lasck of sidespill that others prefer.

KL4 is a 'Flood light' . It produces a bright wall of light but lacks the throw.

Different heads for different purposes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cy

Flashaholic
my KL4 has way more throw then my KL1.

emitter has been upgraded in my KL4, puts out 100+ lumens w/E1E R123 Mc2s combo.

KL4 1x R123 Runtime on bright is only 30-40 minutes, but with Mc2s two stage. you are using low most of the time anyways. low goes for several hours.

I've got two KL1's I never use, please PM if interested.

kl4 kl1.JPG

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
moephiues said:
Does the KL1 on e2e have any effect on the brightness? like will 2 cells make it brighter compared to one cell? or will it just be a longer run time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exx.jpg

I run my KL1 3GEN. on my E1e, E2e, and BE3.....the brightness on all 3 bodies is the same....so yes, only the run time changes.

The BE3 body is not in the photo.... but the Vital Gear 3X123 shown.

Aloha

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared KL1/E1e, Aleph1(NG500), QIII.
Not scientific, beamshots at roughly 6' or 2 meters.

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

jeffb

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
moephiues said:
You can run a KL1 on three cells?

[/ QUOTE ]

KL1 yes.......KL4 <font color="red"> NO!! </font>

A KL1 on 3 cells will give you LLOONNGG "regulated" run time.....thats why it lives in my trucks glove compartment as my long run back up light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aloha