opalec/mini mag question

snapper

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed on my mini mag some times if I bump the head while on or some thing like that it will flicker or the red light will come on. It is almost like it is loosing ground. I think the one little ground tab is geting pushed away which is losing ground.. Has any one ever put a spacer under the spring to add more tension? Is there any way to permanetly ground it and the just use a tail switch? Or any other ideas welcome..

later snapper

snuffy

Enlightened
Take it apart and clean any oil/grease from the lip of the barrel where the ground tab makes contact. I use denatured alcohol to degrease because it's safe to use around plastics. Also you might burnish the contact tabs with an eraser. The switch assembly floats in the tube and tension is provided by the tailcap spring pushing on the batteries. Good luck.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes the annodizing that MagLite uses gets inside the underside of the lip and causes a poor connection

Taking the flashlight completely apart (don't loose the small stamped negative piece) and then taking sandpaper to the underside of the lip usually solves this, or by just gently pulling the adapter AND base up, and then rotating it - causes the pin to rub off any corrosion/paint