McLux Anniversary Update (lots of pics)

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened
It's coming up on two years ago pretty soon that the Skunkworks guys released the McLux lights. These lights all came with 1w Luxeon LEDs which were pretty much the state of the art at that time. I was fortunate enough to have gotten a turn key unit, #091, and I thought at the time how great of a light it was. The only thing wrong with it was that I had lost the Luxeon Lottery and had gotten a crappy cat pee green tint with purple artifacts. Quite unappetizing! So after carrying it for a few weeks it was relegated to my desk drawer where it sat for a long time and ocassionally fiddled with. I tried Fraen Optics, NX-05 and various reflectors but nothing really made the light stand out compared to other great pieces that were coming out every week it seemed. Except for one thing, and that is the fabulous LightSabre-ish outside design of the McLux.....

A few weeks ago I was reading about mods on CPF and I suddenly decided that the McLux is too wonderful of a light to be wasted in a desk drawer with the likes of an old CMG Reactor, a decrepit Mini M*g, a Princeton Tech Blast and tons of other relics that have seen better days.

Now, I'm like the equivalent of a drooling idiot when it comes to electronics and I don't have a lathe or the know how to run one. So after asking around for modders who could do the job I settled on CPFer Chop, Tony Angelette down in La. Tony was very up front with what he could do on it and really took the time to find out what I needed the light to do for me. He quickly ascertained what the best options were and we got a deal going.

I sent the light to him and literally about a week later it came back with nearly a total internal makeover. The only thing we kept was the Kroll clickie.

The project started with boring out the old BB sandwich which was potted in glowpowder infused epoxy. A nasty job and a damned good thing I didn't mention the epoxy beforehand or he might not have undertaken it at all! 

He then installed a next generation board set at 667ma and a 3W TX1J Luxeon. The old McFlood reflector went out the door and a new dimpled one went in. Hopefully he'll chime in here and straighten me out on the numbers and such as I can never remember all the details on this stuff.

Anyway, suffice it to say I am absolutely thrilled with this light. It has edged out my TNC AA as my favorite carry piece (I'm still EDCing the TNC too) and it has not left my pocket for the last couple of weeks. This is a light that I can see carrying for years now. Even if the luxeon technology changes again this light will still be good to go just as it is.

A huge thanks to Tony for being patient with me and giving me such great service! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And three cheers for the Skunkworks guys, you designed a hell of a nice light! 

Here's some pics:

mclux1.jpg

With SF L4 5W on the left, McLux 3W on the right.. You can see it has a sweet hotspot and great color with plenty of side spill.

beamshot1.jpg

Down the hallway shows the sidespill nicely even if it is terribly out of focus…..

beamshot2.jpg

Another slightly out of focus shot. All the way across the dining room, through the kitchen, through the back door and lighting up the garage door behind the car. A span of about 75 feet.

beamshot3.jpg

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... I don't see the pictures... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, now they show up except the last one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Peter,

Yeah, that light was a bit of a mess, but all it needed was a little TLC. TX1J, NexGen667 and a McR20 reflector.

I really like the look and feel of the old McLux lights, although they are a PITA to work on. The end result is more than worth the effort.

I'm glad that you are satisfied with the light.

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow is it only 2 years ago that the original McLux TKs came out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Seems like eons ago that I lusted after one of those 'classics'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PeterB

Enlightened
Very nice! Is the McR20 cut down or original size?
For original size you would have to make a new heatsink.

STILL my favorite light of all. That's why I've collected (hoarded?) so many. And on one of them I commissioned tylerdurden to build up the standard head and he returned it with the most amazing upgrade I could have ever imagined. A fantastic build. LOVE the original TK's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my TK and my other McLux series components /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The original McLuxes have their place in the hall of fame forever.
Still the best-looking lights around, although newer lights do outgun them ... unless they get chopped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened
I agree that they are a fantastic looking light. One of my all time favorites. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
My all time favorite McLux is the PR-T. I love the way it looks. What I'd REALLY like to do is to do a small run of PR-T shaped heads with just a bit of a thicker neck so that it can be made to be LE compatible.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ralf,

The reflector in that particular light is a McR20 that has been turned down to fit into the head. The McR20 reflector is a very efficient reflector for its size and doesn't suffer much as a result of loosing some of its surface area. In any case, the resulting beam is much better than that of the NX05 and I think it is also better than that of the IMS SO17XA. I'm hoping that bernie will be able to prove or disprove this for me.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ralf,

It is feasible to treat the McFlood. I think it is anyway. If you were to remove the EN plating from the inside of the reflector and polish it to a nice shine, then sputter it with some clear Krylon, you could probably get a decent beam out of it. On the other hand, you could just drop an IMS 17mm reflector into your light and get very close to what I'm getting with the turned down McR20.

All you'll need to do with the IMS is chop the feet off of it and it will drop right in place of the optic.

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened
He makes it sound easy......I tried to do that very same thing with this light and a pair of the IMS 17 reflectors but couldn't get them to fit. I gave up in disgust after two failed attempts. There's nothing to them so it mystifies me how they can be cut down.

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened
Whoops! It was a DSPeck FF2, not this light that I tried in on.