New Audi A8 6.0 has Luxeon LED headlamps.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's here. First production car with them.
Article

lumiled_headlight_1.jpg

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks really sweet! On the downside, I HATE cars with bluish HID's riding behind me and "flashing" me with every bump in the road- If you've ever had a face full of Luxeon (who here hasn't), I bet it'll be the same with these.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Since it's just the DRLs, color doesn't much matter. Maybe we've finally found a place to send the bad Luxeons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like lowbeam is behind that projection lens, and the high beam bulb is in a tiny reflector next to it. I wonder how well the high beam will work??

Also, what luxeons are these? V or III?

Crow

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious how much light they put out. I guess you could reasonably expect 500+ lumens. Perhaps they're overdriven? (pun intended) I didn't know LEDs were up to this task yet.

-Crow

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
They aren't for the main headlights, just the day time running lights:

"The new Audi A8 6.0daytime running lamp is another milestone for our technology, and a sign that Lumileds will soon conquer the ultimate challenge in LED automotive lighting: the headlamp," said Leonard Livschitz, Director of Automotive Business Development for Lumileds Lighting"

Vortex

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
Looks like lowbeam is behind that projection lens, and the high beam bulb is in a tiny reflector next to it. I wonder how well the high beam will work??

Also, what luxeons are these? V or III?

[/ QUOTE ]

That tiny reflector looks more like a cornering lamp. The high beams on this vehivle are amazing because that projector is actually a Bi-xenon projector, it can do both low beam and high beam in one unit by means of a solenoid acutated shield.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read on a magazine that it has low/high beam HID.
But using five does not make sense just as a position light
Spain legislation (and I think most of the European countries) talks about position 10 Watt incand lights. Even being 1 Watt Luxeons it will too much light for that aplication, even more if it is focused, no one of the conventioonal lights are focused.
But there is another point.According to legislation that position lights must be placed near the "corners", as one of its purposes is to give an idea about the width of the vehicle to the rest of the drivers, but they are placed on the typical ubication for high beams.
I think they are not designed for day lights, but for high beams, and that is the best application for LEDs as they allow being switched on off very quickly, not as HID.+

Well, you know, just an opinion.

iddibhai

Enlightened
bi-xenons just have a shutter to shield part of the beam, so on dipped beam, the shutter is in place, for high beam, it moves out. there is a seperate incandescent lamp for flash-to-pass which is what you see right next to the projection lens w/ the black tip/cap on it (looks like H7, too bright for city lamps or cornering lamps--besides, this projection unit might have adaptive front lighting). the flash-to-pass is needed since HIDs may not come up to full brightness in the very short burst usage that is required for flash to pass.