requesting to be deleted - accidental double post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
*EDIT: Do not respond to this post... I posted the same question under a different account but that account was banned as a multiple personality, so I thought that post got deleted. I now see it is still there and being responded to, so I just PM'd an admin to get this one deleted.*

I'm looking for some suggestions on how to safely slow down the RPM's of my Bionaire BW2300 window fan. They don't come much quieter and you really can't hear the motors themselves, just the noise of the moving air. But, it's that noise of moving air that I need to reduce. Even on low, it does interfere a bit with serious listening and recording in my small recording studio.
My speakers are on either side of the window with the fan going, and I'm sitting right in front of it. Due to serious space restrictions, the layout of the studio cannot change, and the fan will definitely be on to suck the cigarette smoke away from the electronics and out of the room.
One might be tempted to say... just turn the fan off. Hehe... try telling a musician he can't smoke while tracking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Besides, I can't be removing the fan and closing the window every time I'm done smoking. I'm not looking to torture test the window.
So, I'm seeking ways to slow it down, thereby reducing air noise. It's electronically controlled as opposed to a simple analog speed switch so stepping down power between the fan and wall outlet might affect the controls, but is there any way I can safely step down the output to the motors?
Could I even perhaps get a simple analog fan and step it down, OR put some kind of variable power soak between it and the wall outlet?
If it's simply just not safe to do any of this, I'll take that advice and live with the noise. It's not totally horrible. But if it can be done without burning the house down, I'll go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.