OK to place VCR vertically? Running out of space!

Are you going to SHOT 2005?

• Do it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't do it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would this affect the tape mechanism? The fold open panels might be harder to access. But when I wake up on my side it might be able to read the clock easier if it was sideways. I'll probably do this anyway. I have 2 vcr's. What's the largest number of vcr's you have ever had in a series?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I wouldn't recommend it. The tape guides, capstan, pinch roller, video drum and particularly the threading arms were all designed with gravity in mind to help keep the tape path straight. Try it with a junk tape first, but you'll probably find unreliable operation.

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Re: OK to place VCR vertically? Running out of sp

I also don't recommend placing VCR's vertically. The casette and/or tape may work loose during operation, and may cause damage to the VCR, casette and tape!

I have three VCR's connected together, and they are all in the horizontal position.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you really want it to sit vertically, I definatelt would try a junker also. Who knows, it just might work.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

However you place it, make sure that all the air vents in the case are unrestricted. VCRs need adequate ventilation for sure.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depends a lot on the VCR in question. I had an old Samsung Series 7 on its side for nearly 10 years. New Grundig one specifically states in the user handbook that it must be used in the horizontal position though.

If you want to try it, give it a go with a junk tape first. It might work it might not. Probably best to err on the side of caution though.