• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Multi-Star/Emitter PR base heatsinks for M@G Mods

b2eze

Newly Enlightened
I have heatsink/adapters for Luxeon Star or emitter configurations of 1 through 4 LEDs. Electrical connection is through the m@g's PR bulb socket. These custom adapter/ heatsinks are available with heatsink thickness from 1/8" to 3/8" by 1/16" increments to accomodate your choice of optic or reflector. Material is 6061 aluminum with nylon machine screws for mounting stars and brass machine screws for grounding. Price is $14.00 + shipping ($2.00 continental US and $5.00 international)to CPF members. I will ship to any country that Global Priority $5.00 envelope shipping will serve. I accept non cc Paypal at [email protected] Email me for credit card Paypal account.
Please email or PM with questions.
Used in KevinL's mod in "Project Mag3X - 3C, 3 Lux, Lux3, 3 SO20XA" Click ...CandlePowerForums

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Multi-Star/Emitter PR base heatsinks for M@G M

I'll take two. One for MagC and another for MagD host.
Any difference btw 3 or 4 stars configuration?

b2eze

Newly Enlightened

Not really. The 4 star configuration requires a little filing on the points of the bases aroiund the heatsink to fit in the m@g's head.... PM your email and I'll send pics of each. Be sure to decide the thickness of heatsink you need to suit your choice of optic/reflector!

vacuum3d

Enlightened

b2eze,
Would these work with 3 SO27XA?

thx,
ernest

cnee

Newly Enlightened

Hi b2eze, I'd like to get 2. However I don't know which heatsink thickness to get. The configuration I plan to use would be 3 stars with 3 SO20XAs in a MagC. Basically same as KevinL. Please let me know. Paypal would be sent in a minute. Thanks.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man the Tri-Star bug is really hitting Northern California really hard.

cnee, Kevin used the 1/4" thick but he had to use some aluminum shim.
I've order the 5/16" one, I'll let you know if that one fits if I get it b4 the bay area get together.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

The shim is optional, because the spring-loaded PR base will push the heatsink up against the lens, as intended. You can also use b2eze's polycarbonate spacer. However, the aluminium shim provides the best possible thermal conduction, which is useful if you plan to drive the light as hard as possible.

You can build the shim out of normal kitchen variety aluminium foil. Bundle it up into a roll, bend that roll into a circle of suitable diameter, use a hammer and pound it flat. Slip it in and apply a little thermal grease. Works great - my Meterman 34XR DMM with thermocouple confirms that inside temp is 32degC, outside bezel temp is 31C. YMMV, though. Don't take my temperatures as absolute, but rather, that the shim works acceptably well.

b2eze: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

b2eze

Newly Enlightened

Cnee,
Your 'sinks are going out this morning.... 1/4" since I'm not sure if 5/16" will work either.... I'm sure Modamag will let us all know! I'll send him 1/4" replacements if the 5/16" won't fit. They will work with emitters.
Vacuum3D.... I don't think you can fit 3 27 mm reflectors inside the mag's head without some drastic surgery. But it will make a really nice 5 watt star conversion with the new version "C" cell with 3 CR 123s and a 1/4" drilled for a single star!
Kevin.... The aluminum foil shim was genius!
You guys are keeping me busy.....( I love it!)

cnee

Newly Enlightened

Thanks folks. This is going to be a lot of fun... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened

Paypal sent for 1/4" heatsink with 4 Leds configuration. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

cnee

Newly Enlightened

I received the 1/4" heat sinks yesterday. Very nicely machined (Thanks b2eze!). Still waiting for my Lux III stars to arrive. I've made some measurement against a Mag 3C head. In fact the 5/16" heat sinks should work perfectly with the SO20XA reflectors. The extra 1/16" thickness would press the SO20XA firmly against the front lens and stay in contact fully with the Mag head for max heat dissipation. Just want to let you folks know...

cnee

Newly Enlightened

Paypal sent for 2 more heat sinks:
1 x 1/8" 3 stars
1 x 3/8" 3 stars
Thanks!

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened

Got my 1/4" heatsink today. It´s nicely done and the manual is looking idiotproof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... Thanks b2eze !!!

b2eze

Newly Enlightened

Double thanks, cnee! And, rantanplan, I do appreciate your praise of the instruction sheet! I haven't met any idiots here, though! Quite the contrary.....

Ctechlite

Enlightened

Would it be possible to make one thicker than 3/8"? I'd like to use some Fraen LP optics in a C size head. The Fraen is 10.3mm tall, the C head is approx 28.75mm deep, and star height is 2.5mm. This would require a heatsink thickness of 15.95mm or .628" or about 5/8" (little thinner than .628...)

Please let me know, thanks much!

(Thanks Modamag for the star height).

Latest posts