Req: Where is the best place to get IR Leds?

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use caution when experimenting with high power IR LEDs, remember just because you can't see it - doesn't mean that it can't harm your eyes

axolotls

Enlightened
I want to use these in concert with an IR cam. Some of the smaller leds I've seen don't throw very far and would like the furthest throw possible.

I would imagine that since it's on the low end of the spectrum that it would throw pretty far.

Anyone know that type of info off hand?

Also, any other links out there to IR LEDS?

Thanks
grin.gif

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking from experience, it is much more eff and cheaper to use a LOT of 5mm IR LEDs than to purchase some very bright and expensive IR LED

Also, using this method averages out the pattern and gets rid of the die pattern projection problem

Check out OptoDiode, they have some nice parts

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would depend on the CCD chip inside the camera you are using, most are quite sensitive in that area - some even put filters to "tone" down the IR sensitivity on them

Do you have any IR LEDs to "play" with ?

axolotls

Enlightened
Nope. Just whatever is in my remotes
grin.gif

Instead of buying a CCD Camera with the IR attached, I was going to buy a good CCD Camera and make or buy a IR emitter. This was so I can put the IR where I need illumination.

Thanks

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Most B&W CCD cameras (unless they state that they are low-light or IR-illum friendly) DO have a greyish piece of IR-blocking glass or plastic, to keep from getting IR problems in normal useage. Several sites detail what to remove for if you have an old B&W CamCorder, or whatever.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to go to Radio Shack and purchase the T1-3/4 (5mm) IR LED; if not - I can send you a couple to "play with"