Craftsman LED

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the bargain basement category, anyone know anything about the Sears Craftsman LED flashlight? Advertised as $12.99 reg., on sale for $6.49 for "Craftsman Club" members (free membership).

Thanks.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that the triangle shaped one that used 3, 6 or 9 cells? LED museum reviewed it I believe. I dont think anything earth shaking was found, except the fact with a full load of batteries it was quite heavy and had a good run time.

Crux

Newly Enlightened
I just opened one up a few minutes ago...
It is surely made by Dorcy. It shares the 1&2AA body and tail cap while the converter board sits in slot in the tube like the 1AAA. It has a single LED with magnifier lens in bezel. The spot is quite blue and there are some rings outside of the central hot spot, but the are more than an order of magnitude dimmer. Seems as bright as my MonoLith+ on the low setting (Q4H LD @ 70mA with NX01).

The circuit is a two transistor unregulated type almost exactly like that in the Brinkman (circa 2001) Brinkman Circuit . There probably isn't much that can be done with it without replacing much of it - converter, LED, lens, etc.

There is a lens which focuses the single LED to very tight spot. Its a shame the LED is so dim (compared to a LUX). It might be fun to try the lens with a high dome...