(My first post)Question about Surefire LED choices

Randy

Newly Enlightened
Hello there, long time lurker, first time poster... I blame my parents for giving me a flashlight at like age 2. Ever since, I've collected them, striving for the best, often giving away or selling my previous lights.

I've always admired the Surefire magazine ads I've seen, and finally bought a yellow G2 when trying to come up with a Xmas gift for my grandmother -- the flashlight in her car was literally from about 1950-something, and I wanted her to have something more reliable in there. I took her nearly 50-year old Sears flashlight apart, cleaned it, polished it, and now have it sitting on my shelf like a trophy.

That led me to order a 6P for my dad's birthday (in two days), and I just took delivery yesterday of the 6P and a Surefire C3-HA, as I wanted something with at least an hour of runtime and over 100 lumens. I also bought the Cabela's 5-watt XPG light, which is nice, but Surefire has spoiled me for their build quality.

Ok, now for my question(s). I want a Surefire LED, I want to spend under $175, and I want some power/throw. I ordered the L2 on 1/05/2005, and it's *still* backordered. I picked it because of the high lumen output, and the two-stage output is appealing as well. I would have thought that the L2 would have had huge acclaim on CPF, but I find more people loving the L4 and the A2, or even the U2 (I don't need six levels). I know that most of the LED lights out there are generally more flood/spill, less throw. However, what Surefire LED has the best throw for under $175? Why does it seem that the L4 is more popular than the L2? Smaller size? Do I cancel the L2 and go another route?

Additionally, I'd like to order a E1E and a KL1 bezel, which seems to be the over-whelmingly popular EDC light on here. Would it be better to go with the E2E and KL1? What's the difference besides size? I'm assuming the E2E with the stock bezel is brighter than the E1E stock, but when you use the KL1 on either, the output is the same, the E2E just lasts longer, correct?

Thanks in advance!!!

Randy in cold Chicago

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 is more a flood light, as seems to be the L4 (I don't have it).

However, I think you are correct about the E2e/KL1 combo. Same output, longer runtime than E1e/KL1. A friend of mine has the E2e/KL1 combo, and it's an awesome light. Easily outthrows my L2, though for indoor closeup work illumination I prefer the L2.

redcar

Enlightened
Re: (My first post)Question about Surefire LED cho

My L2 on high and L4 look identical in brightness and spread. Both are very much a flood light. The L5 has more throw than the L2 or L4. The A2 on high(incan) throws better still.

The new style KL1 is all throw. And you are correct, the KL1 with have the same brightness on 1 or 2 batteries, just longer runtime with 2. The stock bezel (incan) on the E2e is 60 lumens whereas the stock bezel (incan) on the E1e is 15.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
In terms of throw, for a SF LED light I like the L6. I've got one of these, and from my perspective it kicks butt. Trouble is it lists for way more than $175, although I found a deal on one for ~$200, and if you look a bit you may be able to so as well. It's a terrific light - but it's a lousy EDC for most people. I believe it's the best throwing light out of the SF LEDs. I can carry it easily enough in cargo pants, and it's not a big light compared to my friend's multi-D cell maglights, which it routinely trounces, but it's not something that's easy to carry on your belt in a suit.

The L2 is longer than the L4. Size matters for something you carry everyday, and smaller is generally better. I think the L2 is a really useful light, I have one and really like it. The L2 is very slighlty larger than a mini-maglite. (2AA maglite). I didn't consider an L4 - I think the runtime is too short. (But that's just me.)

This is mostly about personal preferences though. People who like the L2 prefer the functionality and runtime over size. People who like the L4 have different priorities. No wrong answer here - it just depends on what you prefer.

Welcome and best of luck with your choice. The good news is that all the lights you are considering are outstanding!

Randy

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the feedback guys. I would think that the only difference between the L2 and the L4 would be that the L2 has the two-stages and 100 lumens compared to the L4's 65 lumens. I would think having a 35 lumen advantage would be obvious in the light output. However, most people seem to prefer the L4, despite it's lower lumen rating. I guess what I'm hoping to find is an LED that has nearly as much throw as a P6 (incan). Maybe the L5 is the one for me? Any L5 owners out there? I love this forum.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Randy

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

The L4's 65 lumen rating is extremely conservative. I really believe it and the L2 on high are essentially the same in terms of output and beam quality.
It really comes down to form-factor vs. functionality.

PhantomZ

Enlightened

i have the L2 and i bought my friend the L4. i've been told and have read that the L2 was made for use on low setting and the option of high when you need it. you also get to control both settings with a single hand. the L2 also has a longer pocket clip which i like better. those are pretty much why i like L2 more then the L4. oh the L2 stays constant on by turning the tailcap and the L4 has a clicky switch which i think most ppl find that more handy. the L4 only has 1 brightness setting and lower runtime then the L2 BUT you can buy a McE2s tailcap from McGizmo (you can read about it here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=738296&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) which will fit on the L4 and will give you the same functions as the L2. so you can have a high low setting on the L4 like the L2 but in a smaller package. you do lose the clicky though and you still get stuck with 65 lumens on high and 100 lumens for L2 on high. oh, the L2 can not take rechargeable batteriers but the L4 can. the Pila 168s is the battery you'll need ( you can buy it here http://www.jsburlys.com/ ) . so i guess the L4 is more popular then the L2 because its smaller and will funtion like the L2 with the McE2s tailcap and can take rechargeable batteries. i still like the L2 better though~
the beam quality between the L2 and L4 my friend and i have is alittle different from everyone else that posted. my L2 is more whiter which makes is brighter and the L4 is a bit greener in colour. i can see more flood in the L2.

PhantomZ

Enlightened

the A2 is nice as well. you get both incan and LED in 1. the incan is regulated so you get constant brightness till it dies. when you dont have enough juice to power the incan anymore you will have plenty left for the LED. the LED is nice to turn on in the dark so you dont bind yourself and ruin your night vision. you can use it for really up close work like map reading or whatever. i forgot if it can take rechargeables or not.
i cant comment on the E1e and E2e cause i dont own one or ever played with one~