SF L2 Lumamax

Tecstar1

Newly Enlightened
Being a newbie, I was interested in the SF L2. However, I don't see much discussion on this model. Any comments from those with experience using this light or recommendations on something better in the salve price would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Ron

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Hi Tecstar1, welcome to CPF!

I have an L2, and I think it's a terrific light. What I like:
- really useful dual level: Low is bright enough for most of my uses. High really lights up a room
- both high and low level are regulated
- lovely flood type beam, the so-called "wall of light."
- reasonably compact size
- really an amazing general purpose light.

The size of the light is it's biggest negative to some. It's about the same size (slightly bigger) as a mini-maglite. (The 2 AA battery mag.) If you have one of those, it's an excellent approximation for the size of the L2. If you think a mini-mag is too large for your purposes, the L2 will definitely be too large.

I use mine all the time, and I don't have any real problems carrying with me most of the time. But there are certainly smaller lights. Only odd thing about the light is that it emits a high-pitched whine on it's low setting. I can barely hear this when the light is right next to my ear, so for me this is no problem - just odd.

The L4 is a very similar light. It's essentially an L2 with only the high-level output. It's a bit smaller because it lacks the dual level functionality. (Although you can buy an after-market tailcap for it from McGizmo that offers similar capability.)

Which one is best for you depends a lot on what you are going to be doing. I mostly walk around at night, so runtime is important to me. The L2 on low gives me lots of runtime, and enough light to see around, with a boost to high level if I really need to light things up. If you'll mainly use the light someplace with a lot of background light, and only use it intermittantly, the L4 might be the better choice, as it's smaller. Personally, I think the L4 is too bright for close-up work at night, but again, that totally depends on where you are and what you are doing.

Hope this helps.

wmirag

Enlightened
I have an L2 and I love it. Note that ***for me*** any light appreciably over three inches is too big for EDC.

SO, the L2 is my favorite light when I know I'm going to need a light. The low is plenty bright enough for most things I need to do in the dark and the high is a wall of light that's nothing less than stunning. This is not a throw light, it's a medium flood.

MrBenchmark did a great job describing the light. One thing he didn't mention was that the tailcap can be locked on low and then you're a thumb-press away from momentary high. This is a VERY useful feature. Another useful thing is the very nice lobster-claw lanyard that ships with it. And of course it's the expected SureFire build quality (and price). Note there is a slight green tint to many of the L2's but this is apparent only in contrast to whiter LEDs.

I hope this helps.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wmirag said:
One thing he didn't mention was that the tailcap can be locked on low and then you're a thumb-press away from momentary high. This is a VERY useful feature. Another useful thing is the very nice lobster-claw lanyard that ships with it. And of course it's the expected SureFire build quality (and price). Note there is a slight green tint to many of the L2's but this is apparent only in contrast to whiter LEDs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! You're right I forgot to mention the momentary high-beam - that is a really useful feature.

I have one of the greenish tinted L2's. This bugged the crap out of me for about a week. I made myself use the light, and now whatever part of my brain that arbitrates "white" now declares it to be white when I'm using it. (i.e. I don't really notice it anymore.) It's not a big deal, really. Even when I really noticed it, the tint never interfered with my ability to discern color. It's really only noticeable in contrast with other lights.

It's a great light!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second everyone's comments already. There are shorter lights, but I find the size feels perfect in the hand. The position of the longer clip is comfortable in the cigar grip; and the length is the perfect fit for a tactical grip. I wear cargo pants most of the time and don't notice a difference between my L2 and any "E" series lights. Add a surefire FO5 red filter if you want a third low light option for your L2. The L2 is not my only light though. Keep doing lots of reading and research before opening your wallet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

image003a2.jpg

dandruff

Enlightened
if you are willing to be slighty more adventurous id suggest u look at the McGizmo Aleph series. I just received mine a week ago and am VERY pleased.

I was deliberating between an L2 and an Aleph, and dont have any regrets.

For what its worth, ive read only good things about the L2, do u prefer a flood or throwy beam?

Theo

Newly Enlightened
I have one, and I love it so much that a second is on my wish list this year! The L1 is my personal carry light, but if I had to only have 1 good light, it would be the L2.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thumbs up on the L2 - it's becoming every day carry. Very flexible light. The low output is enough most of the time and doesn't eat your batteries. The high output is quite powerful and lights up a large area very well. Don't look for throw - this light floods more than throws.

Mike

Tecstar1

Newly Enlightened
Great comments, I appreciate all of your help. I am definetly in for the L2. Reading more and more into the forums, I see the need for different lights for different uses. L2 for flood medium work on high with the low setting for close in stuff. Now something for throw. The Aleph's look interesting and offers many options. I do have a SF 6Z that I bought 8 years ago with the P60 reflector, and it might still be competitive with current technology, but will it compete with the Aleph? Thanks for all you help and experience. It will save me lots in buying lights that I might not be satisfied.

Ron

GBone

Newly Enlightened
I love my L2! I have several SF and I find the L2 to be one of the best "all around" lights they make. I first purchaed the U2, I felt it was to large for what I wanted and I did not see much use in the six ajustments. So, I returned it, saved $100, and know have one of my favorite SF in the L2.

Good Luck!

oldeng95

Enlightened
GBone, but is your L2 brighter than your U2?
just jumping in to ask about brightness between the L4 L2 and the U2??
Paul

Tecstar1

Newly Enlightened
I have the L2 now, and I am quite happy with the purchase. Thanks for the info guys.

Ron

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice! I think you'll find it to be one of your most useful lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif