Tell me what you think...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, I'm a newnie but I've read as many post as possible to see what I want. This is gonna be my first 2 LED flashlight. Basically I've decided on two.

First is the CMG Reactor III $35. This is gonnna be in my car. So I'm probably gonna use alk battery with them since recharable battery do loose their charge over time. This is gonna be a rarly used item. Basically just for when I have engine problem or help someone change a flat or just plain looking at maps or something.

The second will be a mod of my Maglite 3 D cell flashlight from Elektrolumens. He said it was gonna cost about $40 which sounds cool to me. This is mainly to leave in my house. Might use it for when rolling black out occurs :).

Basically the small one is for in the car, so I want someting affordable but small and somewhat bright but and needs to last atleast 4-5 hours at bright status. Don't know how long I might be stuck on th hwy :)

The larger one is something I want to be really bright but not too expensive. Wide beam would be cool... basically I'm not gonna be going to the forrest anytime soon. Just need it for household thing and occasionally to illuminate under the car for those midnight repairs and upgrades :)

So what you think? I really want to pay more than 80-100 dollars for both flash light. Thanks

D

**DONOTDELETE**

oops I meant... I really DONT want to pay more than 80-100 dollars for both flash light

Saaby

Flashaholic
For starters, I'd put Lithiums in the Reactor. They have a 10 year shelf life, so you can basically stash the light+batteries in your car and not have to worry about putting in fresh batteries (Assuming you haven't used the light) for 10 years.

Also, it's a great start but you need a EDC light in there. One that's always with you. What better light for that than the Arc AAA? They're about $20. Carry that with you and you can use it for most of what you'd use the Reactor for in your car, and thousands of other things.

Watch out though...we've broken into your wallet and we're not known for leaving much in there
tongue.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i think you really did mean you wanted to pay more than 80-100 dollars...at least on a subconcious level.

that sounds like a pretty good plan you've got there.

i also recommend the arc aaa, as will nearly every member of this forum, it is a great, durable, wonderful light, and i am never more than 3 feet away from it...i even take it in the tub with me
grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
My ARC AAA is strapped to my rubber duck in the hot tub!
wink.gif
You don't really believe that do you?

Seriously, just get the regular Reactor (GREAT glovebox light!) and save about $10-$12 that will pay for some lithiums (a necessity in the Reactor for ultimate brightness and longevity - and ditto what e=mc² says in the next message about lithiums in the Reactor III!! I would recommend the original Reactor as a glovebox light because of that!) and put the few extra $$ saved towards the "required" ARC AAA (which you will use more than you ever know!).

Email Randy at Darkgear.com for a good price on a Reactor or if you want the one without the switch detent CMG was offering a onetime 2 for $30 on them at their website: CMG Reactor 2 for $30 in the news and reviews area (scroll down to where it says: Factory Second Reactors Available).

As far as the Mag for the house...I need to upgrade a couple myself!

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Just a piece of friendly advice here: I own the original Reactor and it does fine on Lith's and loooong lasting to boot. However, with the intorduction of the Reactor III, I was prompted to give CMG a call, and good thing that I did! They told me in a gnutshell that you should NOT use lithium batts in the III since the 3 AA lith's will kill it. My intent was to get a bright, all-weather (all temperature) light as it get quite cold here during the winter months and the Reactor III seemed like an ideal candidate. But heeding CMG's warning about liths in the III, I will stick with my orig Reactor on liths. Too bad, since the III is supposedly brighter, and if low temperature is not a concern, go for it, but use alks, as the mfr advises.

Ed.

franken2

Newly Enlightened
80-100$ 2 white inretech adapters = 50$ with freight. 2 mini mags = about 20$ tops. that leaves enough for an arcaaa and maybe enough for a 4 pack of lithiums. thats 3 flashlights that should serve well for your needs. they have for mine

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, thanks for the help guys... This is what I gonna get now...

2 refurb for $30 Reactor 1 w/ litho (thanks Sigman)
$40 mod of my Maglite 3 D cell flashlight from Elektrolumens

AND... the ARC AAA for my personal use. Can I use Lito with this too?

If everythings go through, I should be able to still keep within my budget.... Not for long if I continue with you guys :p

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find my Inretech on lithiuims & my reactor on lithiums to be almost identical in output. (makes sense. Same lamp / same batteries) It would be more economical to get a Reactor from Darkgear or seconds from CMG. They seem to be pretty tough little lights too. Then you could get Wayne's 3D & still have enough for 2 ARC AAA's. TX

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
No such thing as Lithium AAA batteries (yet). In the common consumer sizes, the only Lithium is the Eveready Lithium AA (they own the patent).

Welcome to CPF, dnt! At least with the knowledge avalable here, you can make intelligent choices in lights.