How hot do 3 five watt stars get? Heatsink idea!

dimwatt

Newly Enlightened
I would like to draw on the experience of the mod people here and get some input on how much heat 3 of the 5 watt Luxeon Stars put out. Has anyone been able to sufficently controll the heat for extended run times?

I know this will raise a lot of questions, but I can't go into detail just yet. I hope all of you will understand.

The reason I am asking is,I have an idea for a heat sink unlike any I have seen here and would like to experiment with it before letting the cat out of the bag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
This mod would very quickly transfer and dissipate the heat generated allowing the user to overdrive LEDs or use multiple LEDs while preventing heat damage. I know there are several great heat sinks out there but as LEDs become more powerfull, the heat output will continue to rise along with the light output. There is a limit to how much heat a slug of metal can absorb before the heat becomes critical. This is where my idea comes in.

A M@g D or C head would be the ideal recipient but could be installed in a AAA head. This would be an in shop mod and not available as a kit.

The only clue I can give at present is: The metal, silver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Who would like to be first to provide three Stars in order to further the science of moding? The donor will recieve a plaque to comemorate this milestone. (just kidding)LOL

dimwatt

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How hot do 3 five watt stars get? Heatsink id

There are any number of effective means of removing heat from a source. Using silver is a rather expensive way and is not quite as good as using Cusil.
However none are as effective as a heat pipe is under most contitions.
A sandwich design of silver and some other material would certainly be more effective but the area of the silver must be about the same as the area it is sandwiched to or you will quickly reach equlibrium.