Glow powder in Streamlight Jr Luxeon

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I got some nice new green glowpowder from Ctechlite, and decided to re-do my SL Jr Lux. These you can't coat the inside of the head easily like a maglite with powder. Reason being is there is a lot of threads and that the NX05 seems to be press fit inside of the light. I could of taken it out, and put some at the top, which would of been best, but perhaps that is for another time.

What I did was unscrew the head and unscrew the aluminum "reflector" collar that holds everything in. Then I painted that with nail polish, and dusted on the powder, repeating coats. By the 4th or 5th coat of polish, it dissolved everything into a thick paint mixture of polish and powder. It was like I painted on cake frosting. Basically I made glow paint mixture right on the object withouth stirring a bottle. I noticed that it still flowed and would puddle downwards, so I flipped it upside down and let dry.

What resuled was the mixture evening back out, and the surface was no longer shiny, but the powder had floated to the surface more, and created a satin surface. I charged it up and it glowed brigther than when it was facing up right!

Gravity helped pull the powder to the surface when you let it dry upside down!!

I had thought about putting a white base coat as the powder does seem to "reflect" glow back better on a white surface than bare aluminum, but that would of been bad with the paint mixing like this.

The result? Well the whole optic doesn't glow, when viewed directly the edge glows. When viewed at an angle, you see a bigger portion of glow. But this mod doesn't interfer with anything and is totally removable.

I also took a Q-Tip and swabbed out the "farkle" out of the optic from the rubbery selant around the dome that got stuck on it. I also screwed the metal glow collar down as far as it would go, and the beam ended up tighting up with the stock LD and projecting a center square beam a lot farther.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did the same thing with my flashlight. I found that turning the light slowly helped me even out the polish application. Not being satisfied, I found a clear straw that fit perfectly into the nxo5. I cut the straw down to 3/8" and applied several coats of glow polish to the inside of the straw. Insert straw into optic, screw on to flashlight, and voila: glow mod. Eventually the straw and the glow polish seperated, so I discarded the straw and the little tube of glow rests perfectly over the led. The drawback is that the beam now has a greenish tint. Oh, well...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, it tinted the beam? I wonder if the blue powder would tint it blue from the glow, or greenish as that's the offwhite color it has...

did it affect the beam other than color?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it must be the collimating optic. Alot of light goes through it instead of just foward from the led. Like putting a colored cel infront of a light. I probably could have used a much shorter piece of straw, instead I went for all.