Do NOT let your Inova XO turn on in the holster...

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
... or most any other high powered LED light. The heat buildup that is familiar to many of you has now been experienced for the first time by yours truly.
I gave an XO to a friend for Christmas, and it happened to come on in the holster the other day. Guess the tailcap was tightened too close to constant on.
Don't know how long that thing was on for, but man did it get hot. Too hot to hold for more than a couple seconds. It cooled down pretty quick since aluminum doesn't "hold" heat for long and it seems to work fine. Hopefully it got shut off in time to not seriously degrade the emitter or the 123A's.
I'm thinking of getting a T3 which is roughly double the lumen output in almost the same size light. Better be careful not to melt the coins in my jacket pocket.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remove the tailcap and wrap some 1/2" wide teflon thread tape around it in a clockwise direction while looking down the battery tube. 3-4 wraps and the switch wont be as easy toa ccidentally turn on. This is my biggest complaint with these types of switches, the looseness of the threads can sometimes make the tail cap rock a bit, enough to turn the light on.

I've done this on many of my lights, including the Inova XO3 that just came in the mail today.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that's good advice but my X0 definately dones't get that hot. I've had it on for half an hour looking inside a house under construction and it never got more than somewhat warm.

But, maybe it's because my BMW was an 88 and not one of those newfangled whizzygizmo Z4s.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevro - Good idea... I'd hate to get the tape stuck all over that nice looking aluminum on the inside (you DO look inside your lights often, right?... hehe), but I'll suggest that too him as he's been using it every day at work.

cratz - I'd assume that's because it's not only exposed to air, but also using your hand and fingers for heat sinks. The heat had nowhere to go being in the holster on his belt. You could've branded a cow with this thing.
Ohhh, you're gonna' tempt me to start talking about my Bimmers...
Notice how high that Z4 is off the ground? That was the police photo taken right before they hauled me in. Sure know how to ruin a Sunday drive.
Just kidding of course. That's not my Z4. My M3 can get at least three feet higher. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tape will cut and clog up the threads if the tailcap is taken off and on too much, but a toothbrush will remove most of it.

Another option is an ever so slightly thicker O ring around the body, or one between the body and head if you dont mind losing constant on function.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do NOT let your Inova XO turn on in the holste

That's true... hadn't really thought about that.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found a better solution. Strip the coating off of one of the twist ties that new electronic equipment usually has wrapped around its power cord and make a loop around the body where the cap would wedge it down to the body. It makes it momentary only but the switch feels great now.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now that sounds like a pretty practical solution. Since the light is used mostly for inspecting guitars and pointing out things high up on shelves for the customers, losing the constant-on may not be a big problem. Certainly better than risking the China Syndrome again.
I've been doing a little reading and it seems Inova has occasional problems with their switches. Perhaps a little more than occasionally. Strange because they seem to have a really good build quality otherwise.
Hope that's a different story with the T4 and it's body switch 'cause I want one.