• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Hate maglights... but

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really dislike maglights for their sad light output and horrible reliabilty. There is nothing worse than a stupid shadow in the beam of a light. Is there a way that I could mod my Minimag (pimp it out)??

-tom

Phil_B

Enlightened
Lots of light engine drop in things out there Tom. I got one from Lambda,very nice. Comes with a glass lense and new reflector too.
Add a kroll switch and you have a bright and economical light.
Lumileds,inretech,MJLed,do a search and find your price point. HTH. Phil.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're talking C and D mags- go over to the "modified..." forum and do a little scanning of the first 5 or 10 pages of posts. You'll find plenty of info. on modifying mags, with links from there to even more reading.

Ralf

Enlightened
If you like to stay with the original bulb, just
"sputter" the minimag reflector. Nice beam afterwards.

(sputter, just do a search on the forum; in short, apply
clear spray in only short bursts ... hard to explain in
english ..)

cheers
Ralf

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sputter?

Yes I am taking about the minimag. It has been sitting in my nightstand for ages and NEEDS to be inhanced. Can anyone give me some relatively cheap ways..

-tom

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the thread on the MJLED for the 2AA lights. It's the best $5 or $10 you'll ever spend on a light. Next you'll want a luxeon sandwich, but start with the MJLED. I can't say enough good about it and I own a half dozen sandwichs and over 5-6 dozen LED lights.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
cornkid....look upon Mags not as inferior lights but as lights waiting to realize their destiny.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Many years ago I was given a pewter MM as a special gift by someone who meant well and that light kinda did its job.. well.. could have done a lot better, but that was the best we had so many years ago. Of course, I can't get rid of this particular MM, so what's the next best thing?

A dat2zip sandwich of course... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Currently it has a choice of red 30 lumen sandwich or the MadMax+ with a TY0L on it. The amount of light coming out of the front end is waaaaaaaaaay cool! You'll never look at an MM the same way again once you get a SO17XA reflector, mineral glass lens, and a high output pill in it. By high output I'm talking about 1.5W and higher, such as the MM+, BB500 based sandwiches, Lambda's current pill and the one offered by modamag. Those are no-compromises-brightness-first sandwiches.

The SO17XA/SO20XA/SO27XA eliminate the need to sputter, all of mine have smooth surfaces yet put out the cleanest beams I've ever seen.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only between "big hole in center and very dim light" (unfocused) and "bright hotspot" (properly focused). For all practical intents and purposes I would figure on this being a fixed-focus light. But that's ok, I gave up variable focus a while back and I don't really miss it.