Streamlight Jr. Kroll

Bradlee

Enlightened
I hope this doesn't sound like too much of a newbie question, but does the Streamlight Jr's Kroll switch fit onto the MM's threads? If so, is there anyone who sells the switch alone, without the whole flashlight? The reason I ask is that the SL Jr's tailcap seems, as many others have noted, much more robust than the typical plastic kroll (closer to the stock MM aluminum tailcap).

Thanks.

dsl

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure if they fit but flashlights.com sells them for $3.99 they are under acsessories for the streamlight lux let me know if you find out if they fit I would like to try it on one
Thanks And welcome to CPF

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup different threads. But they do seem to be WAY tougher. Has anyone had theirs go bad? Krolls go bad all the time. Mine sux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But my SL JR Lux is great!! I wonder if the switch is made by nuwai??

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf bradlee

SL's kroll uses metric thread sizing. VS std kroll uses SAE threads

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody back from Iraq mentioned that after several months of heavy use their SL Jr switch simply wore out. Of course, the gritty environment might have had something to do with it.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SL switch went south after 3 months of heavy use in Iraq. One of my Krolls went south also, I guess if you use a flashlight 20 times a day... stuff happens.

The other SL Jrs are used by guys at work have no problems. It is a great general purpose light but I would skip it under heavy use/bad environments. The only lights that did not suffer switch problems were stock minimags, Surefires, Peaks, Arc AA/AAA, Inova twist switches and my 2D Mag R2H MM+ Luxeon modded light.

I find it rather sad that something as simple as a switch will take a light out of commission. I am looking to the Inova T4 rechargable and Peak lights as the ones to purchase for crappy conditions. Now for Peak to roll out their Luxeon versions to see how they hold up.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, switch rant follows...

Unreliable flashlight switches do really bug me, especially as there are such things as reliable, i.e. proven half million cycle +, industrial switches available, and for only like $5 or so. I would be willing to pay extra to at least have the option of a heavy duty switch put into a "heavy duty" flashlight.

I may be unique, but I've only had bad luck with my 2 plastic bodied Krolls. The metal Streamlight SL Kroll worked better for me, but I gave it away before I used it that much.

Excluding Surefires (I'm too cheap for them), the only manufacturer I know of who claimed to use a real industrial quality switch is Infiniton for their C1, which I have one of. I haven't used my Infiniton C1 that much, but I like the idea that there is a real industrial switch in that thing.

Otherwise, the only thing I trust is the old arc style twisty switch with just a pusher post in the tail cap. I use my other lights of course, but I always remember that a tank tough $40 light still depends on what is probably a 25 cent plastic pushbutton switch...

Latest posts