TSP with 20mm IMS reflectors: Beamshots

Crow

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. Due to increasing interest in my TSP tri lens->reflector project, I thought I'd write a review. I received my three 20mm CadResearch/IMS reflectors from PhotonFanatic today. They were well packed and arrived in about three days, thanks PhotonFanatic!

It was easy enough installing them, and they do indeed fit perfectly. For each reflector, I cut off 2 of the 3 feet and cut just a bit (perhaps .7mm) off of the third one. They sit nicely on the emitters, and the third foot keeps them level. I used hot glue to attach the legs to the board, it seems to work fine. I took the spring off, it is easily pulled off of the center bolt.

Upon screwing the bezel back on I was pleased to see that it screwed onto the body of the light completely, with no gap. I like this. The lens is a tiny bit loose... It could easily be fixed with some tape or something. It's not a big concern to me at the moment.

Enough babble, here are the beamshots:

Beams.jpg

It's pretty similar, isn't it? The hotspot with the IMS is a little hotter, but there is still PLENTY of sidespill. I love the beam pattern, it's much cleaner than that of the tri-lens. Three IMS reflectors produce a decently tight hotspot with a large, even triangle terminating in a circle.

Angle.jpg

Here they are...
Blast.jpg

Overall, I'm satisfied. It looks almost the same as the tri lens but with very clean sidespill. I'm waiting for it to get dark outside at which point I may add more beamshots and thoughts.

-Crow

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crow, well done!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif I really didn't expect the 20mm to be so close to a Fraen, and the 20mm still gives you extremely generous sidespill.

Crow

Newly Enlightened
The throw appears noticeably better, but there's not really a prominant 'spotlight effect'. I'll just have to make a space needle to satisfy my megathrow craving... (Speaking of space needles, where's the best place to get the proper LuxV with high flux etc?)

Yes, the legs must be cut, otherwise the emitter is not centered at the reflector's focus. It was no big hassle, though, I used wire clippers.

I'll try to take/post some outdoor shots later, but the weather has been very restictive lately.

-Crow

Crow

Newly Enlightened
I went outside and took some shots.

Outdoors.jpg

The similarity between the TSP shots did not surprise me. The tri-lens puts most of its light in the center, with most of its sidespill within about 2x its hotspot diameter. With the IMS, there's a similar hotspot with the sidespill spread evenly over a much larger angle. If you look hard at the IMS shot and if you have a good monitor, you'll notice it's slightly brighter in the center. The T3 photo is comparable, but there's practically no sidespill.

I know it's like comparing apples to mushrooms, but I just had to throw in a thor shot. Hehe

All photos were taken at F2.8 for 2.5s.

-Crow

Crow

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
taiji said:
Thanks Crow. I think that I will be doing the same as I like a nice throw from my flashlights.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't be dissapointed, the beam produced by the reflectors is smoother, prettier and more useful IMO, even though the hotspot is almost the same.

-Crow

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
Can you compare beams with a bigger range?
I'm still wondering if this modification is worth the price...
IMO TSP beam with Fraen optics is ok though I could use more throw and this is the only reason to modify flashlight.
From above pictures it doesn't look like the throw is better ...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throw does look increased on the 20mm.
Crow: what do you mean by improved beam? I built a 3D maglite with tri-optic and there are no artifacts in the beam at all. Nice and smooth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Crow

Newly Enlightened
If your only reason to mod the TSP is for throw, IMS reflectors don't seem to be the answer. The beam is almost exactly the same, with the throw noticeably but only *slightly* better, but I prefer it because the sidespill looks clean, where as my tri-lens produces a few artifacts around the corona. I don't guess that matters much... perhaps I'll post some more pics later.

-Crow

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the 20mm reflectors to the Fraen, which is why I changed mine out a several weeks ago. By the way, how are you running it? 3 or 4 cells? Any resistors or other electronics?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orion me or Crow? Crow has a TSP, 4cells w/1ohm(?) resistors on each led. Mine is 3D DD, or 4C w/adapter tube.

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Crow said:
If your only reason to mod the TSP is for throw, IMS reflectors don't seem to be the answer. The beam is almost exactly the same, with the throw noticeably but only *slightly* better, but I prefer it because the sidespill looks clean, where as my tri-lens produces a few artifacts around the corona. I don't guess that matters much... perhaps I'll post some more pics later.
-Crow

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I guess I'll skip this modification now.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been running mine with 4 C cells with no resistance, but [being afraid of LED death] may go back to 3 D cells [being that it is a 3D Maglight]. What is your [both Crow and IsaacHayes] suggestions as to what would be best? I have no way to check what current I'm running. Three TWOK's are on board.