D Head Mag Mod Clearance Question

daBear

Enlightened
I have a total of 21mm from the top of the heat sink to the bottom of the lens holder on a D Cell Mag head I am attempting to mod. I want to use SO20AX reflectors which if un modified take up 18.415mm and the lens itself is 2mm leaving less that 1mm to play with.

Question is: If using a LuxIII Star does it raise the reflector or will the legs of the reflector fit into the groves on the star and fit flat down on the heat sink I am using? (b2eze supplied the HS) Also if an emitter is used rather than a star will that save any room or will it just slip under the legs of the SO20AX?

Thanks,

daBear (novice moder, but having a good time)

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a star will raise the reflector. SO20AX + star = 19.9mm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daBear

Enlightened
That is what I was afraid of. I don't guess there is anything to be gained by cutting a little off the legs of the reflector is there? What about a LuxIII bin, would that be less height?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
When using emitters you'll gain 1.6mm (emitter + reflector = 18.3mm).

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you don't use stars, then you need to trim the legs of the reflectors so they sit at the correct height (resting on the black portion of the led.

Or you can leave them on, and your beam will tighten up some. I'm not sure which way I'll go with. If you do the latter, you do leak some light out the sides, but you could use that to charge glow powder....

check out this thread too I made. Click here