Which is the better buy, E2E-HA or KL1+Vital Gear? + Useable runtimes

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
Both are about the same amount of $$$. I have read reviews that state that the throw on the KL1 is greater than the stock incan. on the E2e; has anyone actually compared both, say in the woods or someplace other than against a wall? I am thinking of either a FB1 or FB2 Vital Gear body with a latest gen. KL1. For the Surefire, I am looking at either the E2E-HA or the E2O.

Also, can anyone tell me what the useable runtime of the incan on the E2E is? I know it says 60-75min, but at what point does it really become noticeably dimmer? Same question for the E2O lamp?

I really like the overall size of the E2E. Throw is what I am looking for, that's why I am considering the KL1. A friend will be in the US in the next couple of weeks and is willing to pick one up for me, so it will be a good time to buy, but I am trying to stay under $100 US.

Thanks

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which is the better buy, E2E-HA or KL1+Vital Gear?

J Roc,

I realize that the newest KL1 has been very popular with most of the guys here, with raves about the throw. Well, the light does have decent throw, but that's all you get. If you need a general purpose light that will serve for both medium range and up close work, I don't think that the KL1 will do it for you. Its lack of sidespill sort of limits its usefulness, IMO. I think that Surefire's most useful, small, LED light is the L4; but the L4 is lacking in throw.

I'd go for the E2e for a bit of both worlds, throw and sidespill. I understand that throw is what you are looking for, but throw at the expense of ALL sidespill just isn't practical.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which is the better buy, E2E-HA or KL1+Vital G

Just as a personal feeling, I like the VG body and tailswitch more than the SF original. I put my KL4 head on the VG body, and if I were going to EDC my light in this way, that'd be the way to do it. But I'm saving the VG body for an Aleph, and the KL4 bounces back and forth between my E1e body and the original L4 body. .

scuba

Enlightened

I have bothand like them both. For me the best choice would be to get the E2e and later the KL-1 module. That gives you both possibilities. It sounds easier than getting the Vital Gear body + KL-1 and finding an incandescent head later. I also would recommend strongly that you consider getting the F04 beamshaper from Surefire for any close-up work with the KL-1. It works beautifully.

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened

Sort of sounds like the E2E is winning out here. Does anyone have any info on the runtime questions? How much of the 60-75min is useable light?

wquiles

Flashaholic

Although my current EDC is the 1xcell VG + KL4, the SF will give you additional posibilities as you can change the head or the tail. With the VG body, you are "stuck" with the VG tail - it is unique to the VG bodies.

Assuming you are OK with the clip being by the head on the SF (as opposed to being by the tail as in the VG bodies), I would get the E2E now, play with it some, and then in a month or two when you can afford the KL1, get the KL1. You can even put a KL4 in the future - it is a versatile unit.

Will

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

Who does any warranty work for the VG bodies?? Surefire is probably the way to go.

Blades

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surfire. I as much as I am not real happy about getting screwed with my KL-1 order with them,(ordered 2, got one, now they have no record of sale and refuse to send the head) buy from a good dealer, and you will have a light that can do a lot! I like the look of the VG stuff, but after a few thread's of some of the problem's they sometimes have, and the review on FL review's http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/vitalgear_f2.htm
that look pretty iffy QC wise, I would go with the SF.
I love my E2d, and it kill's with either a E1e or E2e/d.VDG

bgenlvtex

Newly Enlightened

My edc is a new (4th?) gen KL1 and VG1 body. The VG body is at least as well made as the SF. Fit/finish is excellent+ and the clip design is as it should be. The SF clip halfway down the body,bezel up is bogus at best.It appears to me that no one at SF actually carries a light.Conversely the KL1 head is art. If SF would make a KL1/O with the current optic and a KL1/R with a reflector we could truly have it our way.(my way would be both).

The only complaint I can field for the VG body is that the switch is a little too "soft", and could be set a few millimeters deeper into the tailcap.

Has anyone successfully modded one of theses switches to make it a little stiffer?

AnotherDaveH

Newly Enlightened

If you're not into sidespill, the KL1 is for you. My latest EDC is an FB1/KL1 and it is a great little package. Smaller than the QIII with a lot more throw (overall output may be about equal). The finish on the VG bodies that I have also matches the SF heads very nicely.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

I EDC a E2e/KL1, and I find that its just right for most situations. While it doesn't have very good throw, but its got lots of flood and the runtime is very good, about 4 hrs or so. On a KL4 head, it'd be about 1 hour or so. I tend to go for runtime more than throw, cos the way i see it, any light is better than none, and having a light that has enough juice in it to run for a longer time is better than one that is really bright and dies off fairly quickly... Like what some have suggested, get the E2e first, then a little while down the road, you can get a KL1 or KL4 for it, etc. The E series from SF is very modular and flexible, so u can't go wrong with it!

Also, i have heard of some cases with the VG bodies where the spring contacts are kinda sensitive or too long, etc. I'd do some reading up on CPF first before commiting to that...

Just my 2 cents...

rikvee

Enlightened

why have friends pick them up,
and why buy from Surefire direct?
oldgrandpajack sells 'em cheaper and faster here on CPF!

buba

Newly Enlightened

I picked up one of these last month and have been very please with it. It is non-regulated but has two level clickie and nice combo of throw and side-spill. Q-III's Mother

I second oldgrandpajack down in the B/S/T forum or surefireparts on ebay. Most of their offering of E series now include the Z57 clickie tailcap.