optics vs reflectors in the MM

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now have, thanks to a member here, been able to compare at some length the Nx05 optic, the '17 reflector, the stock MM reflector modded for LED and the Fraen optic.

Interestingly, my favorite is the stock reflector modded for the LED.

I can achieve a tighter focus with it than any of the others, while still being able to open it up for good spill if necessary. Though the spill is not as artifact free (on a white wall anyway!) as the '17, the tighter focus achieved overcomes that and in the real world the small artifacts don't seem to be an issue.

The optics have even spill, but even less tight spots than the '17, with some of that funky squarish look to them. I guess I like round light patterns!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Bill

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock reflector does perform well, but as you said, the beam isn't perfect. I believe that many have also fit the IMS 20mm reflector into the mag. I've also bored the head out for the McR20 reflector. The 20mm reflectors work very well too.

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
How do you guys trim down the IMS reflectors without having the reflective surface peeling away from the plastic housing. I have been trying to cut down some reflectors using a dremel tool with a cutoff bit and have ruined way too many reflectors. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,

Since the IMS reflectors are made of plastic, I just put a sheet of sandpaper down on a flat surface and make circles on it with the face of the reflector.

I typically turn aluminum reflectors on a lathe.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop,

How does the 20 work? Do you have to remove much?

And what about the Mc20? I assume that is an aluminum McGizmo reflector? Where do I get those, and what do I have to do with them?

Bill